Mohamed Toorani is a Partner and Head of the Bahrain office of DLA Piper. As a Bahraini national, his bilingual skills, innate understanding of the culture, and invaluable international and legal experience on corporate and finance matters, bring high value to the team.
Mohamed, ranked by various award winning legal directories including Chambers & Partners, is experienced in the Corporate and Finance practice and came to DLA Piper after working in situ at Mashreqbank psc, Dubai for a number of years. Mohamed has over 14 years of legal experience and advises on a broad range of corporate and finance matters, including general corporate, corporate governance, company formation, share and asset transfers, financial technology (FinTech), funds (ranging from mutual funds to hedge funds or PIUs), liquidations, drafting and reviewing of conventional banking facility documentation, securitization, joint ventures, special purpose vehicles, trademarks, licenses, intellectual property, employment, real estate, insurance, investments under Bahrain, UAE, and UK law.
Mohamed is admitted at the Bahrain Cassation Courts (Supreme Courts) and a Private Notary (English) appointed by His Excellency Sheikh Khalid bin Ali Al Khalifa, Minister of Justice, Islamic Affairs in Bahrain.
Mohamed is also the first and only Bahraini national to head an international firm in Bahrain.
- Advising the Bahraini Ministry for Transport and Telecommunications on the procurement of a 109km above ground metro line PPP project.
- Advising Kuwait Finance House (Bahrain) B.S.C.(c) amongst other banks in relation syndicated Islamic facility of up to BHD150 million to be provided to Eskan Bank B.S.C.(c).
- Advising a regional bank on restructuring of investments carried out on behalf of ultra-net worth investor and the sale of a substantial stake in a major regional company.
- Advising a global technology company on establishing a USD multi-million regional data centre and cloud computing in the Kingdom of Bahrain. Negotiating the terms and conditions with the Government of the Kingdom of Bahrain, advising on the various plots acquired, amongst other key issues.
- Advising Rain Financial on geopolitical assessments for its market entry strategy and participation in the Regulatory Sandbox and establishing a regional cryptocurrency exchange platform to be based in Bahrain. Rain Financial was one of the first three Sandbox / Bitcoin exchange companies in the Middle East.
- Representing INTL FCStone Inc. in its USD236 million acquisition of GAIN Capital Holdings, Inc., a provider of online trading services. Under the terms of the parties' definitive agreement, INTL FCStone will acquire GAIN Capital in an all-cash deal.
- Represented GFH Financial Group B.S.C. on its acquisition of 85% of The Entertainer group, a leading mobile e-commerce platform.
- Advised MS Pharma, a leading pharmaceutical and healthcare provider in the MENA region, on a significant share investment from the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD), a UK-based international financial institution.
- Advised GFH Financial Group and GFH Capital Limited on the sale of its equity interest of USD50 million in Leeds United Football Club to Eleonora Sport Limited (the investment vehicle of majority owner Massimo Cellino).
- Advising and assisting Kuwait Finance House on extension and restructuring of Diyaar Muharraq Sukuk issuance worth USD156.8 million.
- University College London, LLM, Hons, Banking and Finance Law, 2010
- University of Wolverhampton, LLB, Hons, 2007
- Mohamed is the first and only Bahraini national to head an international law firm in Bahrain.
- Mohamed is ranked by various legal directories including Chambers and Partners.
- Mohamed, at the time was the youngest and only international firm representative chosen to be a Private Notary (English).
- "Bahrain: Ultimate Beneficial Owner and Economic Substance Return", 2020
- "Bahrain: Amendments to the Commercial Companies Law", 2020
- "Use of Electronic Signatures and Electronic Records in the Kingdom of Bahrain", 2020
- "Competition Law in the Kingdom of Bahrain", 2020
- "Bahrain Introduces Regulations On Crypto-Assets", 2019
- "New Bankruptcy Law In Bahrain", 2019
- "Bahrain issues new health insurance law", 2018
- "VAT Introduction in Bahrain: the legal perspective", 2018
- "Bahrain Publishes Personal Data Protection Law", 2018
- “Introduction of limited partnership law in the Kingdom of Bahrain”, 2017
- Training: Mooting Competitions – Royal University for Women, 2019 – present
- Introduction to Legal Ethics - Judicial Institute for Legal Studies , 2019 – present
- Panelist and Session on LP in Limited Partnership Law Workshop - in collaboration with the Central Bank of Bahrain and Bahrain Economic Development Board, 2017
- 2013 - to date, Partner – Head of Bahrain Office, DLA Piper Middle East LLP, Bahrain
- 2010-13, Legal Counsel, Mashreq Bank PSC, Dubai
- 2007-10, Business Advisory Services Consultant, KeyPoint Consulting W.L.L., Bahrain
Memberships And Affiliations
- Admitted before the Bahrain Cassation Courts (Supreme Courts) (2019 – present)
- Member of Private Notaries in Bahrain, Ministry of Justice, Islamic Affairs and Al Awqaf (2018 – present)
- Member of the Bahrain Lawyer's Society, Ministry of Justice (2009 – present)
- Member of Complinet, International Professional Body for Compliance Officials (2010 – present)
- Member of Bahrain Professional Compliance Officials