Barbara A. TrachtenbergBAR-bar-a TRAK-ten-bergPartner
Barbara Trachtenberg is a trusted advisor to real estate investors, providing practical, business-oriented solutions in all aspects of real estate transactions.
Barbara's clients include developers, institutional investors, REITs, pension funds and investment advisors who invest in diverse asset classes including office, multi-family properties, retail, industrial, self-storage and data centers, many of whom invest through joint venture transactions.
Her experience includes representing buyers and sellers of CBD office towers, hotels, office buildings, multifamily properties, mixed use projects and golf courses; representing institutional investors and developer partners in joint venture acquisition, development and financing transactions; representing borrowers and institutional lenders in primary, secondary and mezzanine lending for all asset types; and representing landlords and tenants in leasing transactions of office, retail, industrial and laboratory space.
Examples of Barbara's experience include:
- Represented a US$7 billion pension-held REIT in joint ventures, acquisitions and financings of office, retail and data center properties in major money markets.
- Represented The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in a joint venture for the ownership of One World Trade Center.
- Negotiated transactions on behalf of owners for the lease and operation of Observation Decks.
- Represented the sponsor in the formation of a US$100 million joint venture for the acquisition of industrial properties.
- Led the DLA Piper team in the structuring of an initial public offering for an UPREIT.
- Represented the Borrower in a US$287 million construction loan for the development of two office buildings.
- Represented Landlord in the negotiation of a 300,000 square foot office lease in downtown Boston.
- Negotiated office, industrial and retail leases on behalf of landlords in New York, California, Illinois and Massachusetts.
- J.D., Boston College Law School 1998
Editor in Chief, Boston College Uniform Commercial Code Reporter—Digest, Lyne, Woodworth & Evarts award for outstanding editorial work on publications
- B.A., Molloy College 1995
- The Legal 500 United States
- Leading Lawyers, Real Estate (2021-2022)
- Recommended, Real Estate (2020)
- Chambers USA
- Band 2, Massachusetts Real Estate (2022)
- Band 3, Massachusetts Real Estate (2012, 2020-2021)
- Recognized as a GlobeSt. Real Estate Forum's Women of Influence in the CRE Legal Counsel category (2021)
- Awarded the Professional Service Award by CREW Boston
- Named to Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly list of Top Women of Law (2016)
- Named one of the most powerful women in Boston Real Estate by Bisnow (2014)
- Named to CREW Network's "20 under 40" list (2010)
- One of only four lawyers named by the Boston Business Journal to its "40 under 40" list, recognizing Greater Boston's next generation of business leaders and innovators (2007)
Barbara helps pro bono clients create, organize and obtain 501c(3) status for various non-profit interests. She also works with non-profits with their real estate needs including tenant leasing, property acquisition and development. She has also assisted pro bono clients in resolving title issues and otherwise managing their real estate.
- Co-author, "Liquidated Damages in Purchase and Sale Agreements: Illinois and Massachusetts," The Practical Real Estate Lawyer, May 2020
- "Women of Influence," GlobeSt., July 28, 2021
- "DLA Piper Reports Most CRE Executives 'Bullish' for 2021," Commercial Property Executive, May 5, 2021
- Q&A with Barbara Trachtenberg: DLA Piper; Co-Vice Chair, US Real Estate Practice, DLA Piper Real Estate Summit, May 2021
- "DLA Piper, Orrick Steer Clutter's $152M NYC Storage Buy," Law360, September 20, 2019
- "NYC real estate week in review," Law360, November 5, 2018
- In October 2009, the Boston Business Journal profiled Barbara and her career in a feature article, "NEWIRE'S Trachtenberg: A natural affinity for real estate."
Barbara teaches classes on retail leasing, loan documents, workouts and joint ventures at the MIT Center for Real Estate.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Barbara is a member of Law360's 2021 Real Estate Editorial Board.
- Barbara is a Fellow in the American College of Real Estate Lawyers.
- Barbara is a past president of CREW Boston and was CREW Boston’s chapter liaison for the 2009 CREW Convention, held in Boston.
My latest insights
Optimism about the recovering market: DLA Piper’s 2022 Mid-Year US Real Estate Trends...
12 September 2022 .1 minute read