Regardless of the sector, intellectual property law, new technologies and protection of personal data present major challenges for every business and industry.
In a constantly changing and rapidly globalizing environment, it is necessary to not only have technical skill, but also to anticipate complex issues and problems related to intellectual property, technology and data. In this context, thanks to our experience, we can assist in all aspects of IP & T law from the creation of intellectual property rights to their execution and defense, through to the development of a digital strategy (Big Data, connected objects), the optimization of business tools (cloud computing, e- and m-commerce) and the setting up of new technologies for communication and data management (telemedicine).
How DLA Piper can help
Our team can assist in elaborating operational solutions tailored to specific challenges:
- Protection, management, valuation and defense of intangible assets in France and abroad:
- Counsel and litigation related to trademarks, domain names, patents, copyright, databases
- Deposit policy and portfolio management
- License contracts and assignment of intellectual property rights, R & D, transfer of knowhow
- Contractualization (negotiation and drafting) of commercial contracts regarding information technologies:
- Software package integration, outsourcing, maintenance, contracts of development, assistance with project management, license
- Internet contracts (accommodation, general conditions, online learning contracts, e-procurement, ASP contracts, web-agency contract, certification services, IT charters)
- Legal aspects related to operational management of IT projects (implementation of ERP, software package integration, outsourcing/managed services) and IT parks
- Framing of personal data management legal aspects:
- Analysis of new products and services impact, data security policy strategies, assistance with security vulnerabilities, risk analysis in high-risk environment (telemedicine, e-discovery, governmental investigations)
- Declarative aspects and relations with CNIL, drafting documents related to implementation of treatments, particularly including international transfers, training and audit on compliance with the Data Protection Act, personal data management policies.
Our IP & T team in France is one of the biggest on the market with more than 35 IP&T lawyers, including 6 partners in an international team of 550 lawyers. We have recognized experience with domestic and international customers in many economic sectors. We are recognized for our understanding of intellectual property, information technology and outsourcing (we assist mainly service providers, but also public and private users), electronic communication/telecom, internet, e-commerce, media, audiovisual and in the protection of personal data. In each of these areas, we are involved in advice and in litigation.
“They are a very good firm,” asserts one pleased client, before going on to note that the team is “very dynamic, very young and easy to access.”
Denise Lebeau-Marianna boasts enviable expertise in cybersecurity and often assists with data privacy compliance matters as well as data breach investigations. One market source reports that she “is passionate and has very good client contacts.”
Stéphane Lemarchand acts on contentious and non-contentious IT mandates, including advising on IT contracts and IT projects-related litigations. “Stéphane is particularly excellent,” says one pleased client, who particularly likes how he “turns the complicated into simple” and also appreciates his “capacity to understand his clients.”
Chambers Europe, 2021
‘‘What distinguishes Jonathan Rofé's team is its constant availability, reactivity and proactivity.‘‘
‘‘Jonathan Rofé is adaptable with great interpersonal skills.‘‘
‘‘An extremely strong IT practice based in Paris.‘‘
‘‘The team is excellent – leaders in the market from a technical and practical standpoint.‘‘
‘‘Excellent knowledge of the market and clear straight forward efficient advice.‘‘
‘‘Excellent lawyers, responsive, efficient, solution-orientated and efficient.‘‘
‘‘Denise Lebeau and DLA Piper have developed reliable, fast, flexible assistance that responds effectively to the concerns of multinational groups in all segments of data protection, from the implementation of BCRs to the management of data breaches.‘‘
‘‘Denise Lebeau is very flexible; with a deep knowledge of the subject and of its issues and actors, she is able to provide the appropriate responses in a calm and serene manner with appreciable saving of resources.‘‘
Legal 500, 2021