DLA Piper New Zealand is one of the pre-eminent advisers on competition law and market regulation in the country.
We work with a wide range of clients in the most highly regulated and scrutinised industries, guiding them through challenging market issues.
With 30 office across the USA, home of competition law, DLA Piper are at the forefront of changes and trends in this area of law and our clients benefit.
Our stable of clients includes New Zealand's largest supermarket group, as well as a wide range of international organisations whose brands are household names.
DLA Piper New Zealand provides specialist and strategic competition law advice, and practical solutions that meet client business objectives. We have a strong track record in protecting businesses in complex regulatory environments, and enhancing their competitive edge.
Our team is experienced across a great range of industry areas, from utilities (gas, water, electricity, transport, telecommunications) to tourism, healthcare, banking, food brands and supermarkets. In the course of our work we have developed a strong relationship with the Commerce Commission and are commonly asked to represent clients in both formal and informal approaches to the Commission.
- Commerce Act: trade practices, price fixing, market sharing, other arrangements restricting competition
- Exclusionary arrangements, misuse of market power, exclusive dealing
- Antitrust analysis
- Cartel behaviour, alleged cartel behaviour
- Fair Trading Act: unfair trade practices and consumer protection
- Immunity applications
- Commerce Commission investigations and enforcements
- Applications, clearances and authorisations from the New Zealand Commerce Commission
- Compliance programme development, policy formulation, manuals and training programmes; management and board training, compliance and advice
Global Confectionary Company
This multi-national confectionary company undertook a major and unique marketing campaign based on an increase in the size of their king-size chocolate bar by 20% and a 'more chocolate for the same price' claim. DLA Piper New Zealand advised on all aspects of the exercise including competition law issues relating to arrangements with major retailers and maximum price agreements.
Electricity and Gas Complaints Commission
DLA Piper New Zealand advised on restructuring the first regulated complaints resolution scheme in the New Zealand electricity and gas sector. Under the Electricity Industry Act it is compulsory for sector participants to join the scheme. This involved redrafting an old scheme, governance structures, consultation processes and ministerial approvals.
DLA Piper New Zealand advised WEL Networks in its participation in the Crown's Ultrafast Broadband initiative, on all issues including regulatory.