Shabaz AhmedSenior Associate
- Acting for the former CEO of a large British bank in a fraud investigation and prosecution brought by the SFO relating to capital raisings during the financial crisis. Client acquitted.
- Acting for an AIM quoted energy company in an internal and FCA investigation following discovery of accounting irregularities. Achieved a “no further action” result for the client.
- Acting for a company in the consumer credit sector in a contested FCA authorisation application. Involved from the Minded to Refuse letter to successful outcome at the Regulatory Decisions Committee.
- Acting for two former senior executives of a large British-headquartered bank as part of an investigation into arrears handling during the financial crisis. Achieved a “no further action” result for both clients.
- Acting for a building society in multiple FOS disputes arising out of the decision to unilaterally remove an interest rate cap on standard variable rate mortgages. A negative decision by FOS could have cost the building society c.GBP10m per annum. Achieved positive decisions for the client.
- Acting for the London branches of two Indian headquartered banks in respect of the UK aspects of an Indian government ordered merger.
- Acting for a large corporates services group on its acquisition of the European mortgage servicing business.
- Acting for the seller of a company holding a portfolio of non-performing loans.
- Acting for a challenger bank on their Brexit planning across over 20 jurisdictions.
- Acting for the London Stock Exchange Group in various matters, including on secondment to the Government Affairs and Regulatory Strategy group, and providing regulatory advice as part of post-acquisition integration planning.
- Advising firms on various financial services regulatory matters, including anti-money laundering and the combating of terrorist financing, the regulatory perimeter, outsourcing, and financial promotions amongst others.
- BPP Law School, LPC, 2014
- Chartered Institute of Securities and Investment, Level 3 Securities, 2013
- King’s College London, Law, 2012
- Global Investigations Review: International Enforcement of Securities Laws - Chapter on Privilege Issues in Cross Border Investigations
- Journal of International Banking and Financial Law - Regulatory Enforcement and Privilege – Waiver, Content, Cherry-Picking
- Journal of International Banking and Financial Law - UBS v Rose Capital Ventures Ltd: Good Faith and Braganza
- Journal of International Banking and Financial Law - Mis-selling of interest rate hedging products - public law will not aid private law claims
- Prior experience in regulatory compliance in a mid-cap stock-broking firm, 2013 - 2015
Memberships And Affiliations
- Chartered Institute of Securities and Investment, Level 3 Securities