Hamza Akli is experienced in the regulations applicable to insurance and reinsurance companies, more specifically in regulatory and all types of issues pertaining to the distribution of insurance and reinsurance products.
Hamza Akli also acts in restructuring operations of insurance companies and issues related to portfolio or run-off transfers within national and international contexts.
He has developed strong knowledge in cross-border insurance activities and in issues related to the Solvency 2 and insurance mediation regulations.
Hamza Akli also assists his clients in legal proceedings, notably concerning prudential provisioning issues and the distribution of bonuses on life and/or health insurance policies, as well as the eligibility of underlying products (treasury bills, EMTNs, etc.) of life policies. He also defends (re)insurers during ACPR and DGCCRF inspections.
Hamza was selected to serve on LexisNexis UK Consulting Editorial Board particularly for insurance & ESG matters. More recently, Hamza Akli - with Luc Bigel - has been appointed to lead and oversee the editorial content of the (re)insurance undertaking section of Editions Lextenso legal editions.
- Advising foreign insurers and reinsurers through licensing and portfolio transfer procedures with ACPR in France.
- Assistance to mutual insurance companies in the context of a restructuring project leading to a merger.
- Advising insurers in the context of setting up an EEIG.
- Advising insurers in the drafting and review of insurance policies, in particular with regard to exclusion clauses in the event of pandemics and epidemics.
- Advising insurers and intermediaries in setting-up national and cross-border insurance distribution schemes.
- Assistance to intermediaries and insurers in the context of disciplinary and control procedures initiated by ACPR.
- Assistance to insurers and pension funds in reorganizing their governance system and meeting their obligations with respect to outsourcing schemes.
- Assistance to insurers and intermediaries in the review of the product surveillance and governance system (POG).
- Assistance to insurers in insurtech-related issues and in particular in the implementation of policies dedicated to blockchain operations.
- Assistance to an insurer in the context of strategic litigation that may give rise to a risk of serial litigation in the field of pecuniary loss insurance.
- Queen Mary University of London, LL.M, 2012
- University of Paris II Panthéon Assas, Master Degree - Arbitration, 2011
- University of Paris Descartes, Master Degree - Business law, 2010
- Best Lawyers: “Ones to Watch” category – Insurance Law – 2024
- Legal 500 – Insurance – Tier 1 – 2023
- Gold medal awarded by the Legal & Business Forum for the article “Brexit in insurance: no wait and see for the French government” published on Les Echos Executives
- Silver medal awarded by the Legal & Business Forum for the article What insurance for tomorrow’s world? (published on Les Echos Executives)
- Silver Medal - Palmarès du Droit - Insurance Sector (Monde du droit and Association Française des Juristes en Entreprise).
- Book(s): Managing and outsourcing (re)insurance activities, Argus Edition (2018, New ed. 2023)
- Book: Understanding and embracing the insurtech revolution, Argus Edition (2019)
- Book: Climatic Risks, ESG and Insurance, Argus Edition (2022).
- Book: Parametric insurance: comparing worldwide legislations
- More than 80 articles on insurance, distribution, ESG, claims, regulatory, etc. in professional legal gazettes.
Prior to joining DLA Piper, Hamza worked in a private bank and in the insurance team of a leading international French law firm.
- Lecturer – since 2016 – in insurance & regulatory laws at Sorbonne (Paris I) University
- Lecturer at the Professional Training School of the Paris Court of Appeal (EFB)
- Hamza was selected to serve on LexisNexis UK Consulting Editorial Board particularly for insurance & ESG matters.
- Hamza has been appointed to lead and oversee the editorial content of (re)insurance undertakings of the Collection Insurance Essentials at Lextenso editions.