Neil has a wealth of experience handling disputes on behalf of corporate clients in a variety of industries and acts for numerous FTSE-listed and multinational organisations including Croda International plc, Genting Casinos, Harworth Group plc, Intercontinental Hotels Group plc, Kier Group plc, Merlin Entertainments plc and Raytheon Technologies Corporation.
Neil advises on all aspects of dispute resolution and risk management, managing multi-disciplinary teams in complex situations across various sectors. His caseload has strong international elements and involves cases with significant commercial sensitivity and reputational implications.
- Acting for a global manufacturer on its claim in ICC arbitration proceedings against a Middle East based customer with regard to the failure of its customer to complete on a $30 million purchase agreement for the supply of oil refinery equipment to India
- Acting for an aircraft repair services company in relation to a dispute following the failure of an aircraft engine, previously repaired by the company, during flight. DLA Piper commenced proceedings in the English Commercial Court for unpaid repair fees, which were met by a counterclaim relating to the alleged losses suffered as a result of the failed engine. The case involved complex technical evidence and cross-jurisdictional issues relating to service and enforcement. The case was successfully resolved following a settlement on confidential terms
- Acting for a high profile hospitality company in the resolution through mediation of a variety of contentious, sensitive and difficult issues arising from its supply of catering services to a major international sporting event
- Advising a large hotel group in relation to questions of contract construction and issues of restraint under core UK trading agreements: including matters of expert determination and court proceedings, respectively
- Advising a leading media and entertainment company in respect of a claim for alleged fraudulent misrepresentations of financial performance made by the vendors of its recently acquired multimillion pound business. The case was successfully resolved on confidential terms and attracted significant media attention
- Advising an international services company on public procurement challenge issues arising out of a controversial bidding process for the provision of support services valued at over £75 million to a public body
- Acting on behalf of a manufacturer of roofing products in relation to the potential recall of many millions of products supplied and installed over a 10 year period on the basis that subsequent testing appeared to show that they did not carry the appropriate fire retardation and fire resistance qualities as claimed
- Acting for a number of clients in relation to issues arising following the activities of investigative journalists. These matters involved consideration of the regulations governing broadcasters and newspapers and advising in particular in respect of the legal position of the subjects of covert filming
- Neil is recognised as a tier one Litigation and Dispute Resolution expert in the leading legal directories.
- Chambers & Partners describe Neil as a "highly pragmatic, sensible and energetic litigator", with [interviewees appreciating his] "practical and tailored advice" noting he brings together "tremendous commercial acumen with a top-notch tactical brain".
- Legal 500 highlights Neil's ability to "offer sound and robust advice throughout each stage of litigation" as well as his “ability to handle delicate situations with utter professionalism, and continue to give first-rate advice throughout”, remarking it “is truly excellent”.
- Acritas Star – independently rated lawyer.
Neil is heavily involved in the firm's WIN programme for in-house lawyers and regularly speaks at legal conferences on topics ranging from legal professional privilege to fraud awareness and crisis management.
My latest insights
DLA Piper appoints new Litigation and Regulatory partner to its Edinburgh Office
4 January 2023 .2 minute read
DLA Piper appoints new partner to head up UK Contentious Public Law team
24 April 2022 .3 minute read