Nick ByrnesSenior Associate
Nick Byrnes is a property and construction law specialist. He has experience in advising clients on complex high value acquisitions and disposals, development projects, construction contracts, consultancy engagements, and industrial and office leasing.
Nick has acted for clients (including several listed property developers) on a wide range of property matters, including helping those clients navigate New Zealand's foreign investment restrictions. Nick is also experienced in all aspects of the development process. His expertise in both the property and construction sectors leaves him well placed to guide his clients through a development project from start to finish.
Nick has acted on a range of construction matters, including office fitouts, large scale new builds and renewable energy projects. His clients have included listed developers, gentailers and public bodies.
Nick focuses on cutting through complexity to provide solutions focused, commercially astute advice to make his clients' lives as easy as possible.
- the Accident Compensation Corporation on its property investment in school sites by way of joint venture with an iwi.
- Goodman on the disposal of Central Park Corporate Centre.
- Scentre Group on the acquisition of property near Westfield Albany (including obtaining Overseas Office Consent to that acquisition).
- the Guardians of New Zealand Superannuation on the acquisition (via a limited partnership) of the Formosa Golf Resort and certain neighbouring land.
- Precinct on various matters relating to the Commercial Bay construction project.
- Meridian in connection with its Hawkes Bay windfarm project.
- Goodman on various industrial construction projects at Highbrook Business Park.
- The Financial Markets Authority on its office fitout project.
Memberships And Affiliations
- New Zealand Law Society
- Member of the New Zealand Law Society National New Lawyers Group (appointed as a founding member in late 2021)
My latest insights
DLA Piper in New Zealand advises NZGIF on financing aspects of an international capital...
17 October 2023 .6 minute read