Sammy Fang is a Partner in DLA Piper's Litigation and Regulatory group. He heads DLA Piper's compliance and investigations practice across Greater China, and is also the co-head of our China Life Sciences sector group.
Sammy is a compliance and investigations specialist with deep experience of local and cross-border regulatory issues in Greater China. He represents both multinational corporations and locally based companies on product liability, regulatory compliance and investigations (ranging from internal fraud and other white-collar crime, to anti-bribery and anti-corruption and cybercrime and data breach).
His experience covers a wide range of industries and areas of specialty including life sciences, technology, hospitality and leisure, consumer products, and industrials, and have dealt with crisis, disputes and investigations across multiple jurisdictions including Mainland China, US, Hong Kong, Australia and South-East Asia.
- Conducting pre-acquisition or pre-investment anti-bribery and anti-corruption (ABAC) due diligence on M&A or JV targets, assessing potential compliance risks, and advising on risk mitigation strategies.
- Conducting third party engagement due diligence on proposed third party partners and vendors, (JV partners, suppliers, consultants, agents, distributors, etc.), assessing potential ABAC and other compliance risks, and providing mitigation recommendations.
- Designing compliance programs or updating or enhancing existing programs and their policies and procedures; and conducting proactive review of effective implementation of such programs, policies, and procedures.
- Internal investigations into corporate wrongdoings, including responding to whistleblowing reports, conflict of interest, diversion of business opportunities, and other internal fraud concerns.
- Responding to investigations by regulatory agencies and authorities in Hong Kong and Mainland China.
- Chinese (Cantonese)
- Chinese (Mandarin)
- University of Technology, LL.B. 1996
- University of Technology, Sydney, B.A. Business, 1995
- Clients commented in Chambers Asia-Pacific 2021 that “Sammy is a solid practitioner offering strong capabilities in compliance and investigations" and “Sammy is detail-oriented and will never miss a single issue or bit of evidence in a case”.
- Clients commented in Chambers Asia-Pacific 2020 that "[Sammy is] a knowledgeable, experienced and incisive lawyer who provides very practical and clear guidance." Clients also note that "[Sammy] tries to bridge the divide of how things work in China and really helped navigate through Chinese regulations…and he was available at any point of the day."
- Sammy is named by Chambers Asia 2012-2021 as a leading individual in the area of Corporate Investigations/Anti-Corruption in China (including Hong Kong) and is noted by sources to be "very resourceful and knowledgeable in understanding the compliance challenges large US companies face doing business in Mainland China, and goes the extra mile to get things done."
My latest insights
Episode 4: The impact of modern slavery legislation on global organisations
5 September 2022 .1 minute read
China's emerging data protection laws bring challenges for conducting investigations in...
24 July 2022 .6 minute read