He provides corporate tax assistance to national and international companies in a range of sectors such as insurance, life sciences, technology, and wealth management. Antonio is the tax group's main point of reference in the insurance sector in Italy, whilst assisting multinational companies with employment tax matters related to management incentive plans and global mobility.
He is also a trusted advisor to high-net-worth individuals, including well-known personalities, family businesses, top managers, trustees, family offices and charities. Antonio advises clients in relation to complex cross-border structuring of personal and corporate assets, tax residency matters, trust taxation, family governance structures to facilitate intergenerational wealth succession, inheritance and gift taxation.
His responsibilities also include assisting in national and international tax rulings and tax settlement procedures. Antonio represents clients during pre-litigation and litigation tax matters before tax authorities and courts, and he has gained experience in the field of criminal-tax law.
Antonio is a qualified trust and estate practitioner and an elected member of the executive committee of STEP Italy (Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners). He also serves as head of the international tax committee within the Milan Bar Association.
Antonio is the author of more than 250 articles on tax matters in "Il Sole24Ore" and IPSOA - Wolters Kluwer” and in legal and tax reviews. He participates as a speaker at conferences and seminars and lectures at post-graduate specialisation courses.
- Advised on several permanent establishment tax assessments (contentious and non-contentious assistance) for multinational groups in the sectors of technology, insurance, life sciences and social media.
- Assisted on various projects regarding the structuring of stock options plans and employment packages for top executives of Italian and international groups also in the context of their relocation.
- Assisted an international private bank in the structuring of its London branch’s lending activities towards private individual borrowers.
- Assisted an international insurance company on regulatory and tax issues related to its insurance distribution structure in Europe.
- Advised a multinational technology company on VAT issues concerning its supply-chain structure.
- Advised a global transportation company with reference to certain intercompany transactions with Italian subsidiaries.
- Advised on a trust and succession structure for a HNW family owning shares in a pharmaceutical company; the structure involved legal and tax issues both under Italian and US law.
- Assisted HNWIs on “voluntary disclosure” procedures involving assets (financial assets, real estate, artistic heritage, etc.) held in multiple jurisdictions (Switzerland, Luxembourg, US, Panama, Monaco, Spain, UK, etc.).
- Advised on and implemented an international tax and succession planning for a family with assets located in Italy and UK.
- Provided family governance tax assistance for HNW families with assets in Italy, France and Switzerland.
- Assisted many UHNW international families on complex tax residency and income tax issues associated with the transfer of residence to Italy under the “new resident” tax regime (100k substitutive tax applicable on all non-Italian sourced income).
- Assisted on and implemented partnership structures aimed at managing bankable assets under certain fiduciary agreements with Italian and foreign banks.
- University of Milan, Luigi Bocconi, Law degree
- University of Minnesota, LL.M, Master of Laws
- Master in Tax Criminal Law, IPSOA
In 2023 Antonio has been recognized as “Thomson Reuters Stand-out Lawyer”.
Antonio is the author of a number of publications on the main Italian economic newspaper "Il Sole 24 Ore" and on legal and tax reviews.
Antonio regularly participates as a speaker at conferences, seminars and workshops and is a lecturer in post-graduate specialization courses.
Before joining DLA Piper, Antonio worked with a leading Italian tax firm.
During the Covid-19 pandemic, Antonio provided pro bono legal assistance in structuring donations to hospitals and organisations engaged in dealing with the health emergency.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member of the Executive Committee (Secretary) of STEP Italy (“The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners”)
- Head of the international tax committee within the Milan Bar Association
- Member of the International Fiscal Association (IFA)
- Member of the International Bar Association (IBA)
My latest insights
Tax monitoring obligations for foreign insurance companies operating in Italy without a...
21 December 2023 .4 minute read