Antonio Longo has more than 15 years’ experience practicing in tax law, focusing on international taxation, individual and employment taxation, insurance taxation, as well as on estate and wealth tax planning.
- Advised on several permanent establishment tax assessments (contentious and non-contentious assistance) for multinational groups in the sectors of technology, insurance, life sciences and social media.
- Assisted on various projects regarding the structuring of stock options plans and employment packages for top executives of Italian and international groups also in the context of their relocation.
- Assisted an international private bank in the structuring of its London branch’s lending activities towards private individual borrowers.
- Assisted an international insurance company on regulatory and tax issues related to its insurance distribution structure in Europe.
- Advised a multinational technology company on VAT issues concerning its supply-chain structure.
- Advised a global transportation company with reference to certain intercompany transactions with Italian subsidiaries.
- Advised on a trust and succession structure for a HNW family owning shares in a pharmaceutical company; the structure involved legal and tax issues both under Italian and US law.
- Assisted HNWIs on “voluntary disclosure” procedures involving assets (financial assets, real estate, artistic heritage, etc.) held in multiple jurisdictions (Switzerland, Luxembourg, US, Panama, Monaco, Spain, UK, etc.).
- Advised on and implemented an international tax and succession planning for a family with assets located in Italy and UK.
- Provided family governance tax assistance for HNW families with assets in Italy, France and Switzerland.
- Assisted many UHNW international families on complex tax residency and income tax issues associated with the transfer of residence to Italy under the “new resident” tax regime (100k substitutive tax applicable on all non-Italian sourced income).
- Assisted on and implemented partnership structures aimed at managing bankable assets under certain fiduciary agreements with Italian and foreign banks.
- University of Milan, Luigi Bocconi, Law degree
- University of Minnesota, LL.M, Master of Laws
- Master in Tax Criminal Law, IPSOA
Since 2019 Antonio has been recognized from peers and clients as a leading individual in Chambers HNW Guide.
Antonio is the author of a number of publications on the main Italian economic newspaper "Il Sole 24 Ore" and on legal and tax reviews.
Before joining DLA Piper, Antonio worked with a leading Italian tax firm.
During the Covid-19 Pandemic Antonio has provided pro bono assistance for the structuring of donations to Hospitals and Foundations and has filed a petition - concerning the VAT regime of donations - before the EU Parliament which has been referred to the EU Council.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member of the Executive Committee (Secretary) of STEP Italy (“The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners”)
- Member of the International Fiscal Association (IFA)
- Member of the International Bar Association (IBA)
- Member of Italian Association of family law