Michael Mjanes advises clients in connection with real estate and corporate commercial matters.
Michael regularly acts with respect to real estate acquisitions and sales, commercial leasing, real estate financing and joint venture agreements. He has also advised a diverse range of clients in private M&A transactions across a number of sectors, including forestry, mining, telecommunications, health care, mini-storage, food and beverage, and emerging technology. His corporate commercial expertise extends to shareholder agreements, secured lending, and corporate reorganizations.
Michael advises clients at all stages of business growth, and is a trusted advisor to a number of emerging companies who value his practical and solution-focused approach, whether helping to establish new business ventures, completing restructurings and corporate financings, negotiating commercial contracts or navigating general day-to-day issues.
In 2016, Michael was named a Lexpert Rising Star: Leading Lawyers Under 40 in Canada, by Lexpert Magazine.
- Counsel to the Simon Fraser Student Society on the financing, construction and leasing of a new student union building on SFU’s Burnaby campus.
- Advised a major forestry client on its significant strategic acquisition of sawmills and associated forest tenures in British Columbia.
- Part of the team advising First Capital Realty Inc. in its acquisition of shopping centres in British Columbia, including the Semiahmoo Shopping Centre in Surrey, BC.
- Advised on the acquisition and redevelopment of a Class A heritage building in downtown Vancouver.
- Acted for the vendor on the disposition of two major shopping centres in Ladner, BC.
- Represented a BC-based biomass energy producer in the negotiation of a ground lease and project agreements for a major production and shipping facility.
- Advised on the phased sale of one of BC’s leading food distributors, to a competitor in the marketplace.
- Acted for a New York-based private equity firm in its investment in a leading provider of enterprise customer experience management software solutions.
- Acted for one of Canada’ leading mini-storage operators on multiple strategic asset acquisitions in BC.
- Advised on the sale of businesses including a leading dairy manufacturer, a restoration and construction company, a major auto dealership, a specialized marine glass manufacturer, and a civil engineering firm.
- Acting for an emerging energy company in its Series A financing round, including negotiation of subscription agreements and security holders’ agreement, and debenture issuances.
- LL.B., University of British Columbia, 2007
- B.A., Political Science, University of British Columbia, 1999
- Lexpert Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40 in Canada, 2016
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (Property Development), 2017
- Co-presenter, "Bhasin v. Hrynew: Obligations of Good Faith in Commercial Leasing", Commercial Leasing: Landlord/Tenant Disputes, Pacific Business & Law Institute, April, 2015.
- Volunteer, Access Pro Bono
- Vice-Chair, Tapestry Foundation for Health Care
- Board Member, Tapestry Foundation for Health Care, since 2010
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Canadian Bar Association (Real Estate Section)
- Member, Canadian Bar Association (Business Law Section)