The distributed ledger technology behind blockchain brings with it significant opportunities to offer new services and change business models. As the blockchain ecosystem evolves it will pose an array of challenges − for businesses using it, for their suppliers and for their customers. Not the least of these challenges is the need to address inconsistent and often vague legacy regulations that vary across multiple jurisdictions, while looking ahead toward regulations yet to come.
To navigate this rapidly evolving world, businesses need access to experienced and comprehensive legal support that can assist in achieving compliance and managing risks.
THE DLA PIPER DIFFERENCE
DLA Piper's global blockchain group offers strategic regulatory and transactional guidance to companies in nearly every sector, among them Internet and social media companies building content databases; banking, insurance and other financial services companies reducing transaction processing times; healthcare companies using tokens to secure medical records; and agricultural and industrial companies improving their supply chain logistics solutions. And we assist companies at every stage of the business life cycle, from early-stage startups raising funds through blockchain-enabled means to commercial institutions operating at the intersection of finance and technology.
Our cross-practice platform leverages the collective experience of lawyers from our corporate, securities, tax, IP, regulatory and other practices to help clients across all sectors navigate the evolving legal landscape. We regularly advise on issues relating to:
- Initial coin offerings, token generation events and similar blockchain-enabled methods of raising funds
- Anti-money laundering, sanctions and similar regulations
- Money transmission, currency conversion and similar money services issues, including KYC requirements
- Commodities issues created by certain token models
- Tax considerations, including international structures and tax rationalization
- Intellectual property protections, including open source matters, smart contracts and IP transfers and management
- Worldwide data protection compliance and cybersecurity matters
Our professionals operate worldwide to advise on leveraging the blockchain in nearly any sector for any type of project. Let us put our experience to work for you.