Thérèse Abou-Zeid is engaged in providing advice to clients both internationally and the Middle East region, including the United Arab Emirates, on a wide range of corporate transactions and commercial matters.
Thérèse has particular experience in mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, private equity and commercial transactions. Thérèse has also experience in regulatory affairs.
Thérèse is a member of the Beirut Bar Association.
- Advised Orchidia Pharmaceutical Industries, a company incorporated in Egypt, on the sale of a significant portion of its shares and in two holding companies incorporated in Cyprus. The transaction involved the swapping of certain minority shareholders' shares in the company to a holding company in Cyprus and a capital increase in a holding company which certain parties and existing shareholders subscribed to.
- Acted for the regional sides of a number of matters for Pfizer Inc., including the acquisition by Pfizer of Hospira Inc., a significant global corporate restructuring for Pfizer which aimed to separate its low-growth generics from its patent-protected branded medicines, and most recently the sale of the Hospira Infusion Systems business to ICU Medical Inc. This matter included a due diligence exercise, inter alia, the completion of due diligence questionnaires and documents provided in each market and the preparation of a due diligence report.
- Acted for Capital Safety in relation to the re-organization of their entities in the UAE at the time of its acquisition by 3M, this included the establishment of a free zone establishment in Jebel Ali Free Zone (JAFZ), obtaining the requisite approvals from the concerned departments, transfer of the assets and liabilities of an existing JAFZ branch office into the newly established company, the novation of the relevant agreements and finally the dissolution of the JAFZ branch. The matter also involved the preparation of the various transactions documents which comprised the business transfer agreement, the novation agreements, the incorporation and the dissolution documents.
- Advising a private equity firm regarding a bid process relating to the sale of a stake in a listed entity in the Sultanate of Oman. The transaction required extensive interaction with the Oman Capital Markets Authority, engaging with the identified broker, legal due diligence and preparation of the transaction agreements.
- Acted for a major telecom operator in relation to its joint venture with key entities from the UAE and the US with regard to the incorporation of data centers in the UAE. This involved negotiation of a complex shareholders' agreement, shareholders' and bridge loan agreements and lease agreements.
- Advised a global coffee brand in relation to its proposed joint venture in the UAE with a strategic partner for the purpose of the establishment of trading entities. This matter involved the preparation and negotiation of a joint venture agreement and the establishment of a free zone limited liability company and a mainland Dubai limited liability company to lead the distribution channels of the company's products in the UAE and wider GCC region.
- Advised Hesco Bastion Limited in relation to its joint venture with key strategic partners in Abu Dhabi.
- Advised XpresSpa, one of the largest airport spa chains, in relation to a joint venture in the UAE and other countries throughout the Middle East.
- Advised Gemological Institute of America, Inc. in relation to their corporate re-organization in mainland UAE and the establishing of their operations within the Dubai Multi Commodities Centre (DMCC), and advising in respect of DMCC companies regulations and other corporate secretarial matters.
Memberships And Affiliations
My latest insights
Two more weeks for the Economic Substance reporting to avoid penalties
15 December 2020 .3 minute read