Richard Hughes is an experienced corporate lawyer focusing on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and corporate structuring.
Based in the Middle East for more than a decade, Richard advises international and domestic clients across a broad range of sectors including healthcare and technology. Acting for both buyers and sellers, Richard regularly leads complex transactions which typically have a cross-border element to them.
Richard is Scots and English law qualified and was based in the firm's London office before relocating to the Middle East in 2012. He holds the Chartered Institute of Securities & Investment's Certificate in Corporate Finance and is a registered practitioner with the Dubai Legal Affairs Department.
- Advised WBBS International on the sale to Egis of its Waagner Biro Bridge businesses in the United Arab Emirates and Qatar.
- Advised Etihad Airways on the sale of its interests in Air Seychelles to the Government of Seychelles and associated debt restructuring.
- Advised Mastek Limited on its acquisition of the Middle East and North Africa business of leading technology company Evolutionary Systems Arabia FZ LLC.
- Advised Mediclinic International on the divestment of several clinics and pharmacies in the United Arab Emirates.
- Advised Bahrain-based investment group, GFH Financial Group B.S.C., on its acquisition of 85 per cent of incentives provider and lifestyle app, The Entertainer.
- Advised NTT Data on its acquisition of Dell Inc.'s information-technology services business in the United Arab Emirates.
- Advised Noon on its acquisition of Dubai-based online fashion retailer Sivvi.
- Advised the existing shareholders of a franchising business operating quick service restaurants in Nigeria on the sale of a 35 percent interest to a global investment bank.
- Advised Ison Technology on the purchase of Global Technology Services from Emirates National Oil Company.
- Advised Kerry Logistics on its acquisition of Dubai headquartered Able Logistics from Growthgate Capital.
- Advised Dubai based GFH Capital on the sale of its equity interest in Leeds United FC to Eleonora Sport Limited.
- Advised Dubai headquartered Expresso Telecom Group Limited on the sale of its Ghanaian subsidiary and the group's refinancing with China Development Bank.
- LLB (European) Hons; Diploma in Legal Practice
- Glasgow Graduate School of Law, 2003-2004
- Université d'Angers, France, 2001-2002
University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, 1999-2003
- Chartered Institute of Securities & Investment's Certificate in Corporate Finance, 2012
Memberships And Affiliations
- Law Society of Scotland
- Solicitors Regulation Authority (England & Wales)
- Government of Dubai Legal Affairs Department