James Iremonger is head of the Middle East’s Projects, Finance and Restructuring teams and has extensive experience in a number of sectors, including distressed retail, healthcare, real estate and leisure sectors and routinely acts for a large number of local banks, international banks and hedge funds.
- Acting for the creditors committee on the high profile restructuring of Ahmad Hamad Algosaibi & Brothers in respect of circa SAR 27.8bn of approved claims in the FRP process.
- Acting for the joint trustees of the KBBO Group in respect of its multi billion AED restructuring under the UAE onshore Bankruptcy Law.
- Advising a UAE based bank on the first debt to equity swap completed in Abu Dhabi.
- Leading a multi-partner team on the restructuring of the Lagoon City sukuk which involved an asset for asset swap in a listed Kuwaiti sukuk and remains a first in the region.
- Advising a GCC government in respect of the tax driven restructuring and divestment of assets in the US and Germany.
- Acting for the joint liquidators of Joannou & Paraskevaides (Overseas) Limited in connection with one of the largest pan-GCC construction related insolvencies to have occurred to date.
- Acting for A'ayan Leasing & Investments Company in relation to the restructuring of a large number of bilateral Shariah compliant bank facilities and capital markets issues, including debt for asset, debt for equity and debt for receivables swap transactions, including structuring the transaction in a tax efficient manner.
- Advising International Investment Company in relation to the restructuring of its Shariah compliant facilities with a number of banks and credit institutions.
- Acting on the preparation and finalisation of new derivatives products for Banks both in the UAE and in Africa, both on a Shariah and non-Shariah compliant basis.
- Acting for a large pension fund in the recovery of €3 billion in assets from the insolvent estate of Lehman Brothers London.
- Acting on a number of high profile restructurings including the restructuring of a multitude of facilities advanced to the JJB Sports group.
- Acting on the bank led restructuring and subsequent formal insolvency of an energy company based in the UK, together with all regulatory and other matters associated with it.
- University of Birmingham, Law LLB with 2.1 Hons
- Nottingham Law School, Legal Practice Course with Distinction