Mark A. Potechin TEPPartner
Mark Potechin practises tax law with a focus on income tax planning for corporations and individuals as well as representing them before the tax authorities. Part of his practice is focused on wills, estates and trusts, especially resolution of estate disputes.
Mark’s first job was in the tax department of an international accounting firm. Mark now has over 30 years’ experience working in income tax, meeting the corporate tax requirements of owner-managed enterprises and the personal tax planning needs of the owners and their families.
Mark is the immediate past President of the Wills, Trusts and Estates section of the Canadian Bar Association (Quebec Division). He is also the Program Chair of STEP (Montreal).
Mark has taught income tax courses both at McGill and Concordia Universities, has been a group coordinator on numerous occasions for the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants In-Depth Tax Course and has lectured and written extensively on numerous tax topics.
Mark was instrumental in establishing McGill University’s former Graduate Diploma in Taxation program and was its first Academic Coordinator. Mark previously lectured at McGill in the Federal and Provincial Tax course dealing with GST and QST.
In 2015, Mark was awarded a Lexology Client Choice award in the Corporate Tax Category for Quebec, in recognition of his outstanding client service.
Mark has been recognized by Best Lawyers® in Canada, for his exceptional work and contributions in the areas of tax law and corporate law.
- LL.B. (Honours), McGill University
- B.C.L. (Honours), McGill University
- Best Lawyers in Canada (Tax Law), 2019-2024; (Corporate Law), 2020-2024
- Lexology Client Choice Award, Corporate Tax (Quebec), 2015
- Martindale-Hubbell, BV Distinguished Peer Review Rated
- Member, Board of Directors of United Israel Appeal of Canada
- Chair, Board of Directors of United Israel Appeal of Canada's Audit Committee
- Past President, Jewish Eldercare Centre (320 bed long term care facility)
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation
- Member, Association de Planification Fiscale et Financière
- Immediate Past President and Member, Executive, Canadian Bar Association's Wills, Estates and Trusts Section (Quebec Division)
- Program Chair and Member, Executive, Society of Tax and Estate Practitioners (Montreal Division)
- Past President, Canadian Bar Association’s Income Tax Section (Quebec Division)
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Caisse Desjardins de Notre-Dame-de-Grace
- Former Secretary and Member, Executive Committee, Caisse Desjardins de Notre-Dame-de-Grace
- Former Member, Executive, The Financial and Estate Planning Council of Montreal
My latest insights
Act prohibiting non-Canadians from purchasing residential property comes into force in the...
14 December 2022 .7 minute read