John Fogarty is an experienced litigator with broad experience acting in commercial disputes. John specialises in competition and consumer law matters and regularly advises clients on product safety issues. He also has significant experience acting in Royal Commissions and other inquiries and investigations.
He advises Australian and international clients across a range of industries including technology, consumer goods and retail, transport and industrials. He also regularly acts for State and Commonwealth government clients.
Areas of FocusTechnology
- Representing the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission in significant enforcement proceedings concerning competition and consumer protection matters.*
- Advising on the terms and implementation of the compulsory recall of vehicles equipped with certain Takata airbag inflators.*
- Representing an electricity provider in relation to a bushfire class action.*
- Acting for Victoria Police in the Royal Commission into the Management of Police Informants.*
- Acting for the Australian Securities Investments Commission in the Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry.*
- Representing parties in relation to confidential investigations conducted by the Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission.*
* Denotes experience from a previous firm
- Monash University, Bachelor of Laws and Bachelor of Arts, 2005
- Monash University, Post-Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, 2006
- Harvard Law School, Negotiations program, 2013
- Victorian Legal Awards, Rogers Legal Writing Award, 2011
Memberships And Affiliations
- Law Institute of Victoria