Lionel Meehan is a market-leading restructuring and insolvency lawyer, with over 20 years' experience in all aspects of restructuring, safe harbour, cross-border insolvency, business turnaround, debt-trading, administration, receivership, liquidation, schemes of arrangement, personal property securities and insolvency litigation.
Lionel works across the spectrum of restructuring, business turnaround, cross-border and domestic Australian insolvency administrations, as well as finance transactions including syndicated lending, property finance, fintech and derivatives. Lionel's broad waterfront of experience and transaction experience means he can identify key risks and issues, and solve them commercially and efficiently.
Lionel is widely recognised as an authority on Australia's Personal Property Securities Act 2009 (PPSA), having authored a textbook (The PPS Guide - www.ppsguide.com.au) and numerous articles on all aspects of the PPSA.
- Acted company-side on the safe harbour transaction for ASX-listed Palla Pharma Ltd.
- Acted for fund creditors of distressed ASX-listed PNG gold developer Geopacific Resources Ltd on all aspects of its cross-border restructuring plan (Australia, Canada, PNG) and financial restructure.
- Acted for various sovereign governments on their investments in Australia.
- Acted for Malaysian satellite operator Measat on its AUD400 million cross border (US, Australia, France, Singapore) bid and bid financing to purchase the Jabiru Satellite (under construction by Lockheed, US) and Launch Vehicle (under construction by ArianeSpace, France), both being developed by the collapsed ASX-listed space technology developer NewSat Limited.
- Acted for a major international fund investor in relation to the AUD 1 billion+ secondary distressed debt trade to purchase senior secured debt issued by an Australian property group, and the restructuring options for this group’s balance sheet including cross-border restructuring and contingency planning.
- Acted for a major international fund investor on the complete AUD100 million balance-sheet financial restructure of ASX-listed mining services business Imdex Limited by way of distressed debt trade, cross-border security analysis and transfer across 10 international jurisdictions (Australia, Germany, UAE, Netherlands, South Africa, Chile, Canada, US, UK, Australia), and facility and security restructuring in all relevant jurisdictions.
- Acted for Equity Trustees Ltd in successfully defending them against claims arising from the failure of proposed restructuring and recapitalisation plans (a failed credit-bid) put by the majority secured noteholder of ASX-listed defence technology company Metal Storm Ltd.
- Acted for the ad hoc group of senior secured lenders on the landmark restructuring of the global logistics syncreon group implemented through English schemes of arrangement, with US and Canadian recognition. It was the first time a scheme was used to restructure debt issued by a US based group and the first time that Canadian CCAA recognition of an English scheme was granted. As a result, the group's $1.1 billion funded debt balance was significantly reduced by more than half and additional liquidity was provided, in exchange for which the group's financial creditors received the majority of the equity in a new Dutch holding company.
- University of Tokyo, Master of Laws, 2001
- Murdoch University, Bachelor of Laws, 1998
- Murdoch University, Bachelor of Asian Studies (Japanese)
- Lionel is recognised by Best Lawyers as a Leading Individual for Insolvency & Reorganisation (2008-19)
Lionel was a partner and senior associate at London-based law firms and has spent time in-house at Mitsui (Tokyo) and ANZ (Melbourne).
Memberships And Affiliations
- Tokyo University Alumni, Melbourne Chapter
- Insolvency Law Bulletin, Editorial Board