Matthew is a practical and strategic labour and employment lawyer who advises employers on complex workplace issues and advocates for them in negotiations and legal disputes.
Matthew routinely assists organizations navigate a broad range of human resources issues, including employee recruitment, discipline and termination, executive employment arrangements, labour relations, organizational change and business reductions and closures. He also advises private and public sector employers on their rights and obligations relating to employment standards, human rights, workplace bullying and harassment and occupational health and safety. His experience includes working with clients throughout Canada, the United States, and abroad.
His practice includes the representation of employers at labour arbitrations, before administrative tribunals and at the Ontario and Federal courts. He has acted as lead spokesperson in collective bargaining negotiations and assisted employers in crises, including in response to union organizing campaigns and strikes.
Matthew is frequently called upon to provide strategic employment and labour law advice on corporate transactions, draft and enforce employment agreements and restrictive covenants, including non-competition, non-solicitation and confidentiality agreements, conduct workplace investigations and deliver training on a wide-range of workplace topics.
Before pursuing his career in law, Matthew was a Human Resources Manager in the manufacturing industry.
- J.D., Queen's University, 2012
- M.I.R.H.R, University of Toronto, 2008
- B.M.O.S., University of Western Ontario, 2007
- Vincent Principi Memorial Award in Labour Law, 2012
- David Sabbath Prize in Collective Agreement and Arbitration, 2012
- Speaker, "Vaccines in the Workplace: Rights and Limitations on Requiring Vaccination", DLA Piper Webinar, February 2021
- Speaker, "Leave and Benefit Entitlements: Avoiding Costly Mistakes”, Preparing for Further Changes to The Canada Labour Code, Infonex Virtual Conference, March 2021
Memberships And Affiliations
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises StoreForce in capital raise from software investor Accel-KKR
29 March 2023 .2 minute read