Richard Marks has been a business lawyer with DLA Piper for more than 20 years, assisting clients with cross-border and domestic acquisitions, divestitures, restructurings and investments. He has represented companies and investors in many different sectors, including manufacturing, technology, hospitality, education and healthcare.
Rick serves as outside counsel for public and private companies as buyers and sellers in their strategic acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures and with general operational and corporate matters. He also works with private equity, SBIC and mezzanine funds, and other institutional investors in the purchase, sale and financing of their portfolio companies.
Rick also has broad experience representing borrowers and lenders in senior secured, second lien, unitranche and mezzanine corporate loans and acquisition financings and with related intercreditor and restructuring issues.
His work on all sides of acquisition and finance transactions gives Rick the ability to bring clients deep market insight into the positions of each counterparty to a deal, helping them negotiate transactions more efficiently and effectively. Chambers USA has consistently recognized Rick for "transactions across a wide range of industries," and clients note him as "a good legal advisor with good commercial awareness." Clients further praise Rick as "consistently very knowledgeable and thoughtful towards the work and advice he gives, while being mindful of the situation."
Rick is a member of DLA Piper's North American Pro Bono Committee.
- J.D., University of Maryland School of Law 1993
Order of the Coif
- B.S.E.E., Northwestern University 1989
- Chambers USA
- Band 3, District of Columbia Corporate/M&A & Private Equity (2014-2023)
- Band 4, District of Columbia Corporate/M&A & Private Equity (2012-2013)
- Named among the Top Washington Lawyers by the Washington Business Journal (2006)
- Named to Washington SmartCEO's Legal Elite (2007)
- Honored with a Pro Bono Award by the National Law Journal (2003)
Rick represents non-profit corporations with formation and corporate issues and with establishing and maintaining 501(c)(3) status.
Richard is an adjunct professor at the Georgetown University Law Center.
Memberships And Affiliations
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises Overhaul in its acquisition of SensiGuard® and securing of US$73 million...
17 March 2023 .2 minute read
Applying the lessons of the SVB and Signature Bank failures: Steps for boards and...
15 March 2023 .4 minute read