Charles is a member of the Finance, Projects and Restructuring team.
Charles has experience in leveraged finance, acquisition finance and corporate lending.
Charles advises lenders on a full range of bilateral and syndicated facilities, advising banks and debt funds, as well as advising corporate clients and private equity houses on sponsor-backed transactions.
- Warburtons Holdings Limited in connection with the provision of syndicated senior term and revolving facilities for the refinancing of the Warburtons group.
- Lloyds Bank plc as provider of term and revolving credit facilities in connection with the ECI-backed secondary buy-out of Amber Travel Holdings Limited in March 2013.
- Conviviality Plc in connection with syndicated senior term and revolving credit facilities to the Conviviality group on the admission of Conviviality Plc to the Alternative Investment Market in July 2013.
- Lloyds Bank plc in connection with syndicated senior term and revolving credit facilities in connection with the Equistone-led MBO of the Travel Counsellors group in October 2014.
- Tosca Debt Capital LLP on a series of second lien / mezzanine finance transactions and unitranche / super senior transactions .
- Prudential Insurance Company of America (and its affiliates) in connection with the provision of acquisition financing via a securities purchase agreement in relation to the MBO of Principle Holdings Limited in December 2016.
- Charles Taylor PLC in connection with the refinancing of its syndicated banking facilities in October 2017.
- Hayfin Capital Management LLP and KKR Credit Advisors (EMEA) LLP in connection with the Inflexion-backed buy-out of Huws Gray in April 2018.
- A syndicate of four banks in connection with the Inflexion backed buy-out of UK Fast in February 2019.
- Manchester Metropolitan University. Legal Practice Course, 2009 - 2010
- University of Sheffield, Bachelor of Laws (LLB (Hons)), 2004-2007
- St. Ambrose College, Hale Barns, A-Levels, 2002-2004
- Ranked in Chambers UK 2020
- Finalist in Pro-Manchester Lawyer of the Year
- May 2017 to present, Senior Associate, DLA Piper UK LLP
- September 2012 to May 2017, Associate, DLA Piper UK LLP
- 2010 to 2012, Trainee Solicitor, leading international law firm
- careers day at local grammar school and follow-up careers sessions and “professional quiz”;
- presentation on the “Life of a Lawyer” at a local school;
- Break Into Law work experience programme;
- Pathways to Law work experience programme;
- BLD work experience programme;
- Salford Foundation CSR activities (interview techniques, CV drafting etc.);
- Street Soccer Academy - fund-raising events and charity auctions;
- Manchester Metropolitan University student mentoring scheme (I have three mentees);
- Manchester Law Society careers dinner;
- Manchester Insight Day - speed networking session;
- supervisor role on vacation schemes and work experience programmes, in addition to presenting to the attendees;
- member of the Habeus Corpus pro bono team;
- meetings with the firm's executive to comment on and discuss business processes and potential improvements; and
- meetings with external agencies to comment on and discuss business processes and potential improvements.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Law Society