Kate Bake-PatersonAssociate Counsel
Kate Bake-Paterson practises in the area of charities and not-for-profit organizations and has developed specialized knowledge of the legal, regulatory and operational issues faced by these entities.
In her work, Kate regularly advises charities and not-for-profit organizations on a broad range of issues, including those relating to:
- incorporating and organizing not-for-profit entities;
- governance and other structural issues
- relationships with other organizations, including both qualified and non-qualified donees
- ·obtaining charitable registration and other regulatory compliance issues;
- charitable giving and the documentation, receipting and implementation of charitable gifts; and
- the conduct of revenue-generating activities.
Kate also assists donors with planning, documenting and implementing charitable gifts and frequently assists them in establishing donor-advised funds and private foundations.
Kate speaks frequently on various topics associated with charities and not-for-profit organizations, presenting to both lawyers (at forums such as the Canadian Bar Association, BC Section, and the B.C. Continuing Legal Education Society) and other members of the charitable sector (at forums such as the Canadian Association of Gift Planners, Pacific Business & Law Institute and at events hosted by charities and not-for-organizations themselves).
- LL.B., Dalhousie Law School, 2003
- B.A. (Honours), University of British Columbia, 2000
- Chambers Canada (Charities/Non-profits), 2024
- Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers in Canada (Charities/Non-Profit Law: Vancouver), 2023
- Best Lawyers in Canada (Charities/Non-Profit Law), 2019-2024
- Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (Charities/Not-For-Profit Law), 2020-2023
- Co-contributor, "Planned Giving" chapter, LexisNexis Canada - Financial & Estate Planning for the Mature Client in B.C.
- Co-contributor, "Planned Giving" chapter, CLE - Estate Planning and Wealth Preservation
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Chair, National Charities and Not-for-Profit Organizations Section of the Canadian Bar Association
- Chair, Vancouver Chapter Canadian Association of Gift Planners
- Past Chair and Co-Founder, British Columbia Charities and Not-for-Profit Organizations Subsection of the Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Association of Gift Planners
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
My latest insights
DLA Piper Canada lawyers recognized in 2022 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
4 March 2022 .59 minute read
DLA Piper (Canada) LLP recognized in the 2022 Best Lawyers in Canada guide
25 August 2021 .66 minute read