Leo Batalov advises on corporate finance transactions, mergers and acquisitions, venture capital transactions, private equity transactions and general corporate matters, focusing on the technology and emerging growth sectors.
- Advising shareholders of Busfor, a web and mobile platform for finding and selling long distance bus tickets, on the merger with BlaBlaCar, the world’s leading long distance carpooling service.
- Advising Cognitive Technologies, a developer of artificial intelligence technology for industrial equipment, on the fundraising from Sberbank, Russia’s largest bank.
- Advising BMT Private Equity on the acquisition of BelkaCar, a Russian carsharing service.
- Advising the shareholder of Rabota.ru, an online jobs marketplace, on the sale of the company to Sberbank, Russia’s largest bank.
- Advising Wheely, a ride-hailing company focusing on the luxury market, on the USD15 million Series B fundraising led by Concentric, a London-based venture capital fund.
- Advising Elbrus Capital on the acquisition of Westwing Russia, an online furniture retailer, from Westwing Group.
- Advising Yandex.Taxi on the acquisition of Food Party, a food subscription company that delivers pre-portioned ingredients.
- Advising YouDo, a services marketplace, on the USD17 million Series C round fundraising led by MTS, a top Russian telecom operator.
- Advising Baring Vostok on the acquisition of a minority stake in Itransition.
- Advising Headhunter.ru, a major Russian online recruitment platform, on the acquisition of Jobs.ru, a Russian job search site.
- University of Washington School of Law, Juris Doctor, 1999
- Whitman College, Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, summa cum laude, 1996
- Ural State Technical University, Specialist Degree in Economics, 1992
- Chambers Europe (Corporate/M&A: High-end Capability in Russia), 2019; (Private Equity), 2019
- Chambers Global (Corporate/M&A in Russia), 2019
- Legal 500 EMEA (Commercial, Corporate and M&A: Moscow), 2013–19
- “Leo Batalov advances in the rankings as a result of substantial market feedback. He is recognised for his extensive experience representing private equity and venture capital funds in transactions, particularly in the technology sector. He is described by one client as a ‘great, friendly and constructive negotiator with a hands-on approach’.” Chambers Europe (Private Equity), 2019
- “US-qualified Leo Batalov frequently acts on corporate finance and private equity transactions. Sources characterise him as a ‘tough and very savvy’ practitioner.” Chambers Europe (Corporate/M&A: High-end Capability in Russia), 2019
- Moderator, “Sales to strategic investors,” Russian M&A Congress, Cbonds Congress, Mergers.ru and Preqveca, November 2019
- Moderator, “Private equity investments in the Russian tech sector – market update,” Russian Private Equity Congress, Cbonds Congress and Preqveca, September 2019
- Moderator, “Money from strategic investors or financial investors – pros and cons,” Venture Investors Forum, Cbonds Congress and Preqveca, April 2019
- Moderator, “Features of M&A in the technology sector,” Russian M&A Congress, Cbonds Congress, Mergers.ru and Preqveca, November 2018
- Moderator, “Entrepreneurs: life with the fund first hand,” Russian Private Equity Congress, Cbonds Congress and Preqveca, September 2018
- Moderator, “Exits: from the point of view of the founder, investor and buyer,” Venture Investors Forum, Cbonds Congress and Preqveca, April 2018
- Moderator, “Private equity investment diversification – high tech,” Russian Private Equity Congress, Cbonds Congress and Preqveca, September 2017
- Guest lecturer, Lomonosov Moscow State University School of Law
- Guest lecturer, MBA degree programme and Startup Academy entrepreneurship programme, Skolkovo Moscow School of Management
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Board of Trustees, Russian Jewish Congress
- Member, Investment Committee, Russian Venture Company
- Member, Washington State Bar Association