Megan has a broad, transactional-based practice involving all aspects of corporate and lending law, with particular focus on private company mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, private equity, and corporate finance.
Megan advises clients on a wide range of domestic and international transactions, including private company acquisitions and divestitures, lending and financing, corporate reorganizations and private equity transactions.
Megan also acts as general counsel for a number of B.C.-based businesses in a variety of industries, assisting with their strategic planning and growth, commercial contracts, corporate governance and corporate finance needs. As a key advisor to each organization, Megan draws on specialized areas of the firm, including tax, real estate, litigation, IP and employment law services, to ensure that her clients’ legal needs are met in a timely, cost-effective and thoughtful way. The industries in which her clients operate include high tech, professional services, restaurants, retail, manufacturing and distribution, forestry, property development and construction.
Megan has been recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada in the area of Mergers & Acquisitions Law.
- Advised ZLC Employee Benefits Solutions, the employee benefit division of ZLC Financial, a well-respected boutique financial services firm based in Vancouver, B.C., on its strategic partnership with Synex Business Performance of Quebec.
- Acted as counsel to Cobra Electric Ltd. and Cobra Electric (South Coast) Ltd., affiliated companies specializing in traffic management and lighting system infrastructure for municipalities and the B.C. provincial government, in the concurrent sale of their businesses to the Mainroad Group
- Lead transaction counsel to Nippon Paper Industries Co., Ltd., Marubeni Corporation and Daishowa North America Corporation in the $465 million acquisition of Daishowa-Marubeni International Ltd. by Mercer International Inc., a Canadian public company
- Acted as corporate counsel to Autopro Automation Consultants Ltd. since 2011, including in its acquisition in a three-cornered transaction with Canadian public company mCloud Technologies Corp. and Fulcrum Automation Technologies
- Advised TRG Group Benefits and Pensions Inc., a leading employee benefits advisory firm, in its acquisition by US-based Hub International Limited.
- Acted for Sunrise Service Abbotsford Ltd., in the sale of the Sunrise Toyota car dealership business to OpenRoad Auto Group Limited.
- Acted for the seller of CUL Administration of Canada Ltd in its acquisition by US-based Auto Financial Group
- Acted for a significant BC-based provider of rehabilitative, physio, employment and related services in its transaction with Ironbridge Equity Partners
- Corporate counsel to Navarik Corp., a software-as-a-service provider to commodity shippers globally, from 2008 until its sale to Vela Software International Inc. in August, 2020.
- Corporate counsel to a number of BC based forestry companies, including forest tenure management and log marketing firms and sawmill operators
- Act regularly for institutional lenders and syndicates with respect to senior secured credit facilities to companies in a variety of sectors
- Corporate counsel to a steel products manufacturer and distributor with operations across Western Canada and in the US, including in its acquisition in summer 2020 of a specialty metals business based in Alberta and BC and with respect to its $123 million trade credit, operating and construction credit facility from HSBC and EDC
- Canadian corporate counsel for a number of US based enterprises commencing business in Canada
- Corporate counsel for a BC based transportation company with operations across western Canada and the western United States, including with respect to its new finance and lease related credit facility established in fall, 2020
- Counsel to a variety of professional partnerships in renewing their respective partnership and shareholder agreements
- Represented CIBC with respect to a new $150 million operating credit facility to a BC-based investment company
- Represent a BC-based forestry company in its security arrangements under its existing $53 million credit facility from Bank of Montreal
- Represent the CIBC-led syndicated of lenders with respect to a new $146 million operating and construction facility for a borrower involved in the shipping industry
- Represent the RBC-led syndicate of lenders with respect to a $380 million operating loan facility to a BC-based forestry company;
- Acted as Canadian counsel for Owens Corning Inc., a US multinational, in its US$450MM acquisition of InterWrap Inc., a Canadian private company that sells building materials
- LL.B., University of British Columbia, 1995
- B.A., English (Honours), McGill University, 1992
- Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (Corporate Mid-Market), 2023
- Best Lawyers in Canada (Mergers & Acquisitions Law), 2016-2024
- On the editorial board and the author of Chapter 1 (Introduction to the B.C. and Federal Acts) of the B.C. Company Law Practice Manual
- Author of Practical Law Canada, Business Corporations: Federal/Provincial Guide (BC)
- Former Director, Trafalgar Out-of-School Care Society
- Former Director, McBride Museum Society, Whitehorse, Yukon
My latest insights
Court orders consultation with First Nations before granting mineral claims in BC
2 October 2023 .11 minute read
Private companies facing public disclosure of beneficial ownership under new Federal...
27 July 2023 .26 minute read