Richard J. NixonCounsel
Richard J. Nixon provides strategic advice to major employers in the nuclear energy, telecommunications, public accounting, auto parts, oil and gas, construction, consumer products and retail industries.
Richard is a trusted advisor on a broad range of employment and labour matters. He has a proven track record of successfully representing employers before Canadian courts, labour relations boards, human rights tribunals, arbitration boards and other tribunals.
For many years, Richard was a popular lecturer for the Advanced Program in Human Resources Management at the Rotman School of Management at the University of Toronto. Richard is a member of the Advisory Board and a lecturer at the Osgoode Hall Law School Professional Development HR Law for HR Professionals.
Richard is also frequently invited to chair and speak at conferences on labour and employment law.
Richard represents many large Canadian employers including:
- Rogers Communications
- Candu Energy
- KPMG LLP
- Imperial Oil
- City of Hamilton
- LL.B., University of Toronto, 1980
- M.B.A., University of Western Ontario, 1975
- B.A., Economics, University of Western Ontario, 1973
- Best Lawyers in Canada (Labour and Employment Law), 2006-2022
- Chambers Canada (Employment & Labour - Ontario), 2016-2023
- Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (Employment Law - Employer), 2006-2017, 2021
- The Legal 500 Canada (Labour and Employment), 2016-2022
- PLC Which Lawyer? (Labour and Employment - Canada, Ontario), 2011
- Martindale-Hubbell, Distinguished® Peer Review Rated
- Speaker, 2016 DLA Piper (Canada) LLP Canadian Employment and Labour Law Conference
- Speaker, 2015 DLA Piper (Canada) LLP Canadian Employment and Labour Law Conference
Memberships And Affiliations
- Fellow, The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers
- Board of Directors, Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation
- Human Resources Professional Association of Ontario
- Lecturer, Advanced Human Resources Management - HRPAO Program at the Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto
- Lecturer, The Osgoode Certificate in HR Law for HR Professionals program sponsored by Osgoode Hall Law School, York University
- Co-chair, professional development seminar on "Reducing Workers' Compensation Costs", Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association