Rainer FunkeOf Counsel
Rainer Funke is a lawyer in public commercial law with particular experience in the field of telecommunications/regulation. In addition, Mr Funke advises his clients comprehensively on government affairs and lobbying.
Another focus of his practice is on inheritance law, real estate law and advising foundations and non-profit institutions on all relevant issues. In this context, he also engages in board work and holds board positions as well.
Mr Funke has many years of political experience, including as a Member of the German Bundestag from 1980 to 1983 and from 1987 to 2005, and as Parliamentary State Secretary at the Federal Ministry of Justice from 1991 to 1998.
During his time as a member of the Bundestag, he was, among other things, the FDP parliamentary group's negotiator for the Telecommunications Act (TKG) as well as for the Postal Reform I and II from 1988 to 1995.
Mr Funke is a member of the G 10 Commission and was re-elected for another four years in 2022.
- Advice on business law legislative projects.
- Extensive arbitration proceedings in the field of banking law.
- Extensive experience in German-Iranian business relations.
- Creditor committee member in a major insolvency proceeding since 2010.
- Hanseatic Higher Regional Court, Second State Examination, 1969
- Hanseatic Higher Regional Court, First State Examination, 1965
- Study of law at the Universities of Frankfurt and Hamburg
Prior to joining DLA Piper as Of Counsel in 2006, Mr Funke worked as:
- Managing Director of HIH - Hamburgische Immobilienhandlung, a wholly owned subsidiary of Bankhaus M.M. Warburg & Co. from December 1989 until the end of 2005
- Member of the Supervisory Board of Deutsche Telekom AG from 1995 to 1999 (delegated by the Federal Government); where he was a member of the committee for balance sheets and investments
- Parliamentary State Secretary in the Federal Ministry of Justice from January 1991 to October 1998
- Member of the Bundestag from 1980 to 1983 and from 1987 to 2005
- Spokesman on legal policy for the FDP parliamentary group from 1998 to 2005
- Chairman of Working Group IV (Interior, Law, Media) of the FDP parliamentary group from 2002 to 2005
- Legal advisor to the FDP parliamentary group from 2002 to 2013
- Legal Counsel of Bankhaus MM Warburg & Co. from 1969 to 1991
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member of the G 10 Commission and was re-elected for a further four years in 2022.
- German Bar Association e.V.
- Chairman of FORUM KOLLAU Association for the History of Lokstedt, Niendorf and Schnelsen e.V. (History Workshop).
- Treasurer of the Friends of the Museum of Hamburg History.