Your trusted tax advisors
With strategic advice, our global team helps you achieve your business goals that are in line with complex tax rules. Our lawyers and economists sit side-by-side with clients throughout the lifecycle from planning to tax disputes. Extensive experience means we’re your single source of actionable advice and creative solutions: a knowledge base where tax meets commerce.
Multinational businesses encounter cross-border tax, legal and operational issues. They’re experiencing complex international tax policymaking and more coordination between tax authorities. These challenges require both an international approach and a thorough knowledge of local markets.
With reforms that are continually under way, senior tax decision-makers face endless challenges. These range from anti-tax avoidance measures to political and tax technical issues arising from digitalization, and from taxation of supply chains to managing tax certainty, audit and controversy.
“They provide outstanding analytical advice for very complex cases while keeping in mind the commercial realities and administrative aspects of their solutions," and "their international network is remarkable as they really deliver seamless products bridging various jurisdictions.”
We advise multinationals on these areas and more. Our work covers not only international tax planning and structuring but also complex financial transactions, transfer pricing, tax audits and appeals, and disputes, including criminal law. Businesses turn to us for our deep technical knowledge, commercial awareness and cross-border capabilities.
Our team of 440+ lawyers and economists monitor the legal and tax positions in the jurisdictions where you do business. We’re joined by lawyers from Finance, Corporate, Real Estate, Government Affairs, Intellectual Property, and Employment and Employee Compensation for advice in those areas.
We work with you to keep the tax side of your business activities in order. And you benefit from attorney–client and work product privileges. Our experience covers multiple sectors, ranging from funds and asset management to life sciences and technology – where, for example, we review and structure the tax elements of deals and R&D.
As a global firm, we take a global view. Wherever you’re based or wherever you do business, we resolve your domestic and cross-border tax issues.
Interdisciplinary work is an integral part of our service. We advise across practice groups and on original, often novel, tax issues in both the national and cross-border context.
Our clients include national and multinational companies, corporations, mid-sized and family businesses, as well as high net worth individuals, financial institutions and investment funds, institutional and private investors, insurance companies and brokers, private equity and venture capital funds, public sector companies, and foundations and non-profit organisations.
Our key areas of advice include:
- Tax structuring of company acquisitions and sales
- Tax advice after acquisitions and restructuring, during the integration of business units, as well as the separation of business units
- Tax aspects of corporate financing
- Establishment of multinational corporate restructuring and financing structures including cash pooling
- Tax advice on reorganization and restructuring measures to avoid insolvency proceedings or in the context of insolvency proceedings
- Development of tax-efficient national and cross-border investment and financing structures for German and foreign funds
- Drafting of intra-group transfer pricing agreements for goods and services and the preparation of transfer pricing documentation and Advance Pricing Agreements (APA) in the field of transfer pricing
- Support on tax audits and conducting appeal proceedings and fiscal court proceedings up to the Federal Fiscal Court
- Tax and legal advice with regard to private equity and venture capital, in particular in the structuring and establishment of venture capital and private equity funds
- VAT advice, for example, with regard to the optimization of the flow of goods, service, licensing and distribution structures
- Taxation of employee assignments and on the establishment of employee participation programs
- Tax structuring with regard to the commercial and tax balance sheet
- Advice to software and technology companies as well as other companies regarding the tax structuring of their license relationships and intellectual property rights (e.g., patents, know-how)
- Advice on income tax, inheritance tax and criminal tax law for entrepreneurs, wealthy individuals and shareholders
Awards and recognition
News and insights
DLA Piper advises Sciforma and STG Partners on KeyedIn Solutions acquisition and...
29 March 2023 .2 minute read
Measure ULA: new and updated FAQs addressing the LA Mansion Tax
24 March 2023 .9 minute read