Alex is an Associate within the Employment team and has experience providing advice and support on a wide range of employment matters, including both contentious and non-contentious work for clients operating across a variety of sectors. He has experience in providing assistance to clients in respect of day-to-day employment issues, reviewing, drafting and negotiating contractual documents, preparing and implementing policies and procedures, and advising on novel and complex areas of law.
Alex has assisted with global employment projects for international clients across several jurisdictions and has coordinated advice from multiple territories in respect of a wide range of legal and commercial issues, most recently in respect of the international response to the COVID-19 pandemic and the options available to multi-jurisdictional clients seeking to reduce operational costs. Alex also has experience in acting for clients in relation to a variety of claims including unfair dismissal, breach of contract, and discrimination at all stages of the tribunal process, and has delivered training for in-house human resources teams on these and other pertinent employment law issues.
Alex's principal strengths consist of drafting, legal analysis, and delivering high quality and practical advice on complex areas of employment law. In addition, Alex is the Sheffield office’s Pro Bono Coordinator and Co-lead on the firm’s Pro Bono work with the National Deaf Children’s Society.
- Advising a leading technology provider to commercial airlines, militaries and oil and gas companies in relation to various settlement agreements and employment tribunal claims. Most notably, Alex collated and reviewed the relevant documentary evidence in an unfair dismissal and discrimination claim, prepared a detailed grounds of resistance, supported the ACAS assisted settlement negotiations and prepared settlement agreement wording.
- Advising a global file hosting service provider in respect of numerous multi-jurisdictional queries such as the client’s transition to a permanent working from home model and voluntary resignation program.
- Advising a leading manufacturer of digital security products in its response to the COVID-19 pandemic. In particular this involved advising on employment law and data protection issues surrounding the use of employee temperature checks, the implementation of a global staff reduction, and the exit of two senior employees, one of which required collaboration with colleagues across three jurisdictions.
- Advising a digital architecture and interior design platform in managing a redundancy appeal and the attendant risk of unfair dismissal.
- Advising a world leader in missile systems on the application of recent case law on holiday pay to employees receiving benefits under a group income protection scheme, and in respect of a claim for disability discrimination which was successfully settled.
- Advising a global secure cloud proxy platform provider on the termination of a senior employee, the waiver of various contractual claims and his smooth transition out of the business. Alex assisted at each stage of the process and prepared a practical and straightforward script so as to ensure that the client was confident in implementing the dismissal and that it caused minimal disruption.
- Advising a leader in cyber-security services on the response of the UK government to the COVID-19 pandemic, the extent to which its various measures and restrictions impacted the client’s local operations and the way in which the situation continued to develop.
- Advising a leading survey and engagement platform on various international employment related matters such as the operation of the Working Time Regulations in respect of employer-mandated annual leave and carry-over.
- Advising a worldwide provider of information technology services to the retail sector on the purchase of a target company by conducting due diligence on the latter’s employment contracts, pension arrangements, right to work documentation, policy handbook, and other employment-related matters. Alex identified the risks indicated by the above and advised on the means by which these might be mitigated or removed entirely.
- Advising a multinational telecommunications conglomerate on the election of representatives to European Works Councils and the position in respect of holiday pay and the extent to which overtime must be included when calculating holiday pay across numerous jurisdictions. In addition to providing local advice, Alex instructed and collated responses from colleagues both in and outside of the firm across numerous jurisdictions and reviewed the same to ensure consistency.
- Advising one of the world’s largest financial technology companies in a multijurisdictional review of its precedent employment contracts and service agreements. Alex also coordinated a review of the extent to which the company was entitled to unilaterally vary employee salary and working hours, or impose annual/unpaid leave across a further seven territories.
- Advising a global fraud prevention technology provider on a review and update of its UK employee policy handbook which included a detailed explanation of the various forms of paid leave to which employees are entitled, and the extent to which these can be limited.
- Advising a global asset management company on its UK entity’s parental leave obligations, and drafting the appropriate policy documents.
- Advising a multinational financial services corporation on a multijurisdictional investigation into alleged corruption in the bidding for and sponsorship of two high-profile sporting events, and allegations of bullying and harassment in the workplace. Alex conducted an extensive review of relevant documents associated with the investigation and prepared analyses which informed the subsequent interview process.
- Advising a worldwide provider of financial and accounting management software on the exit of a senior employee. In particular, Alex prepared the formal termination letter establishing the terms of the employee’s exit, and assisted in the negotiation and application of the same.
- Advising a global provider of cloud-based virtual banking solutions on the agreed exit of a senior employee and the redeployment of a further employee to the UK from the Netherlands.
- Advising a global financial services company in respect of the data protection, employment law, and commercial risks associated with requiring employees to answer a series of health-related questions as a prerequisite on attending company premises during the COVID-19 pandemic.
CONSUMER GOODS, FOOD AND RETAIL
- Advising a leading supplier of metal and glass packaging on various day-to-day employment related issues, including hiring, suspending and terminating employees, reviewing, and updating template employment contracts and policy documents. In addition, Alex has managed a number of data subject access requests at each stage of the process, including review, redaction, and response.
- Advising the market leader in global hair styling equipment in respect of claims for unfair dismissal, breach of contract, and disability discrimination. Alex assisted at each stage of the tribunal process, including in the review of evidence, drafting of responses, and witness statements and settlement.
- Advising a multinational consumer goods company on a claim for unfair dismissal and disability discrimination in excess of GBP1 million. Alex assisted in the review of evidence, drafted applications to the Tribunal, and participated in client strategy meetings.
- Advising a UK-based motor group in its defense of a tribunal claim for detriment resulting from making a protected disclosure and unlawful deductions from wages. Alex reviewed the documentary evidence, drafted the grounds of resistance, and participated in settlement negotiations. Alex has also advised on the application of novel case law to employee holiday pay, and the data protection and commercial risks associated with pre-employment vetting.
- Advising a global packaging provider to leading brands on numerous day-to-day matters such as employee terminations, settlement agreements and data subject access requests.
- Advising a leading British chemical manufacturer on the extent to which employee temperature checks reflected market practice, and the employment law and data protection risks involved in implementing them.
MEDIA, SPORT AND ENTERTAINMENT
- Advising a global entertainment company by supporting its various HR functions on day-to-day matters such as hiring, disciplining, and terminating employees, together with restructures and redundancies.
- Advising the leading provider of higher education analysis on the negotiation and drafting of a senior executive’s service agreement.
- Advising a leading UK university on a restructure, involving the negotiation and drafting of several settlement agreements.
- B.A., Knox College
- University of Sheffield, English Literature and History BA(Hons)
- University of Sheffield, Graduate Diploma in Law and Legal Practice Course