John GilfedderLegal Director
John Gilfedder is an English and Northern Irish qualified lawyer who advises on a broad spectrum of Aviation and non-aviation related matters with a particular focus on regulatory, commercial and insurance matters.
John also works on a wide range of projects assisting clients with their pan-EU and global expansion initiatives within infrastructure, operations and logistics. This work involves advising clients on contractual nuances within the context of the UK and European regulatory framework.
He has experience in dealing with a number of complex, multi-jurisdictional major aviation accidents in South America and Africa along with subrogation and third party recovery actions. John has also worked on a number of product liability disputes for a major European aviation manufacturer and its Reinsurers and has defended various international aviation carriers within the context of cargo and passenger litigation.
Fluent in French and with strong professional Spanish, John uses his written and oral language skills to advise clients in a wide-range of foreign jurisdictions.
Aviation & Regulatory ExperienceJohn’s experience includes advising:
- A major International Corportation with regulatory and commercial matters surrounding European expansion. This involves projects within Aviation, Operations & Logistics, Health & Safety and other general compliance issues.
- A US Corporation on UK and EU regulations governing commercial drone operations.
- An e-commerce corporation with respect of ICAO 100% cargo screening.
- On safety recommendations issued by EASA and FAA in order to ensure compliance.
- A large private aviation company with establishing operations in UK & IRE.
- A large product manufacturer in relation to claims arising following severe engine issues during 2019.
- A large Military contractor on contractual and regulatory issues relating to UK programmes.
- On the fatal loss of LaMia flight 2933 which crashed on 28 November 2016 in Medellin, Colombia whilst carrying players and club members of Associação Chapecoense de Futebol.
- Local insurers and London Reinsurers in relation to the loss of a Cessna Grand Caravan aircraft in Kenya in June 2018 carrying ten people on board.
- A number of UK & African airlines and their Reinsurers in relation to disputes arising from the loss of cargo and precious metals in over 25 African jurisdictions.
- On multi-jurisdictional disputes arising from the crash of a Piper PA-31-350 Navajo Chieftain aircraft in Nassau, Bahamas in 2014.
- Reinsurers of Pakistani airline on disputes arising from Terrorist attacks at Jinnah International Airport, Karachi in June 2014.
- On subrogation and third party actions resulting from incidents at airports causing damage to aircraft, passengers and property.
Non-Aviation ExperienceJohn’s experience includes advising:
- Institute of Professional Legal Studies, Queen's University Belfast (2010 - 2011)
- Université Montesquieu - Bordeaux IV, French & European Law (2008-2009)
- Queen's University Belfast - Common & Civil Law with French (2006 - 2010)
- 2013-2019 - Associate & Senior Associate, London Based International Law Firm