Frank W. RyanAmericas Chair
Frank Ryan is DLA Piper's Global Co-Chair, Global Co-CEO, and Americas Chair.
In his practice, Frank has handled numerous cases, arbitrations and trials in a variety of areas, including media and sports, commercial, medical device, and sovereign disputes. He is known as a go-to strategist and litigator with particular experience in patent, trademark, trade secret, false advertising, business and sovereign-related litigation.
A graduate of Syracuse University College of Law, Frank now serves on the school's Board of Advisors. He is a member of the Legal Service Corporation's Leaders Council, helping advise the country's largest funder of civil legal aid programs for low-income people. He is also a member of the Wall Street Journal CEO Council and Thomson Reuters' Global Strategy Board.
The long list of high-profile clients Frank has counseled includes Disney, ABC, TomTom, Pac-12, Nike, ESPN, beIN Media Group, Al Jazeera, Medtronic, ConMed and significant matters related to the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.
- J.D., Syracuse University College of Law
Order of the Coif
magna cum laude
- B.S., Syracuse University
Four Year Varsity Letter Winner
The Legal 500 United States
- 2021 - Recommended, Trademarks: Litigation
- The Legal 500 comments, "Other key figures include New York-based global co-chair Frank Ryan, an expert in high-stakes litigation..."
- 2021 - Recommended, Trademarks: Non-Contentious (including Prosecution, Portfolio Management and Licensing)
- The Legal 500 comments, "...Frank Ryan in New York co-chairs the IP and tech practice and focuses on litigation, and other IP matters in the sports, media and entertainment sectors."
- 2019-2020 - Recommended, Trademarks: Non-Contentious (including Prosecution, Portfolio Management and Licensing)
- 2018-2020 - Recommended, Trademarks: Litigation
- 2017-18 - Recommended, Technology: Transactions
- 2017 - Recommended, Telecoms & Broadcast: Transactional
- 2014-16 - Recommended, Sport
- Panelist, "The State of the Global Legal Industry," Thomson Reuters 17th Annual Legal Executive Briefing, May 11, 2022
- Speaker, "Reinventing Business and Talent Models," Thomson Reuters Strategy Board Meeting, May 4, 2022
- Panelist, "What’s Next: Law firm leaders and industry experts discuss law firm office trends in the wake of the pandemic," Savills Legal Tenant, February 24, 2021
- Panelist, "The 2020 Legal Executive Briefing Webinar Series: The State of the Global Legal Industry," Thomson Reuters, December 10, 2020
- "DLA Piper, Announcing Leadership Changes, Creates Advisory Role for Strategy and Performance," The American Lawyer, July 18, 2022
- "DLA Piper vice chair takes up strategic role amid US leadership shake up," Global Legal Post, July 18, 2022
- "DLA Piper Promotes New Slate Of Leaders," Law 360 Pulse, July 18, 2022
- "DLA Piper Names John Gilluly Transactional Practice Vice Chair," Bloomberg Law, July 18, 2022
- "DLA Piper Makes Changes to US Leadership Team," Web Ring Net, July 18, 2022
- "Demand in Tech, Life Sciences Drives DLA Piper's 10.8% Revenue Growth," The American Lawyer, April 6, 2022
- "DLA Piper's First Chief Strategy Officer, a Big 4 Vet, Wants the Firm Doing 'More' for Clients," The American Lawyer, September 27, 2021
- "DLA Piper’s 8.8% Jump in Profits Bolstered by US Growth," The American Lawyer, March 22, 2021
- "DLA Piper Restructures Its Management Team to Support Single Chair Model," The American Lawyer, March 12, 2021
- "DLA Piper Forms New Management Team After Strong 2020," Law360, March 9, 2021
- "DLA Piper’s New Chair Wants His Giant Firm to Get Even Bigger," Bloomberg Law, February 23, 2021
- "DLA Piper's Frank Ryan Is Bringing a 'Growth Mindset' to the Busiest Lateral Market He's Ever Seen," The American Lawyer, January 28, 2021
Memberships And Affiliations
- Board of advisors for Syracuse University College of Law
- Member of the Legal Services Corporation's Leaders Council
- Member of the Wall Street Journal CEO Council
- Member of the Thomson Reuters' Global Strategy Board