Stephen H. BarrettAssociate
Stephen Barrett primarily focuses his practice on complex commercial and product liability litigation.
Steve’s practice includes representation of defendants in mass and toxic torts, including litigations involving asbestos, talc, and pharmaceutical products. Steve routinely represents large, international corporations nationally, as national coordinating counsel and locally, throughout the State and Federal Courts of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, New York, Washington, and Oregon. Not only does his practice involve coordinating and directly handling all aspects of litigation and discovery in local matters, Steve supports the strategic coordination of national matters and the direction of local counsel.
Steve has a broad range of litigation experience from initial investigations and fact-finding all the way through trial. Steve's practice often includes extensive research of complex issues arising in litigation, both involving legal issues and of internal corporate histories, on behalf of multi-national, industry-leading clients. In his role as national coordinating counsel and national discovery counsel, Steve coordinates the responses to complex and extensive discovery requests for all matters pending across the United States, and routinely prepares corporate representatives for depositions throughout the country.
Steve has significant experience in a variety of litigation practice areas. He has represented individuals and companies in matters involving property damage, construction liability and defects, environmental liability and catastrophic losses. Steve has also represented individuals and companies in major commercial contract disputes, consumer fraud actions and other investigations.
- J.D., Rutgers University 2012
- B.A., Psychology, Pennsylvania State University 2009
- B.A., Crime, Law and Justice, Pennsylvania State University 2009
- Co-Author, "Chapter 8: Recent Developments in Asbestos, Talc, Silica, Tobacco, and E-Cigarette/Vaping Litigation the U.S. and Canada," Practising Law Institute's treatise on Product Liability Litigation – Current Law, Strategies and Best Practices, Second Edition (2021)
- Speaker, Look to the Future: Business Succession from a Legal and Practical Point of View, February 2017.
- Successfully obtained a number of voluntary dismissals of local and national cases involving alleged asbestos exposure following an extensive investigation of historical records to demonstrate an inability for plaintiffs to prove the liability alleged in those matters
- Prior to joining DLA Piper, Steve managed the Delaware offices of two mid-size regional law firms
- Successfully briefed and argued multiple dispositive motions filed on behalf of defendants in asbestos matters throughout Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware
- Successfully tried to verdict a commercial contract dispute in the Montgomery County Court of Common Pleas
- Successfully obtained a dismissal of contractual claims stemming from community association governing documents resulting in the voluntary dismissal of all claims following several years of contentious litigation
- Successfully briefed and argued the published matter of DepoLink Court Reporting & Litigation Support Services v. Rochman, 64 A.3d 579 (N.J. Super. Ct. App. Div. 2013)
Memberships And Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Delaware State Bar Association
My latest insights
Supreme Court holds that consent to jurisdiction statute in Pennsylvania does not violate...
29 June 2023 .6 minute read
Senate Bill S74A seeks to significantly expand recoverable damages in wrongful death...
15 August 2022 .8 minute read