John McKinlay is a commercial lawyer who advises multinational businesses and other organisations on negotiating commercial, outsourcing and technology contracts.
John advises clients in a range of industries, and regularly works with clients on projects across multiple jurisdictions.
John specialises in advising on outsourcing and procurement contracts, technology licensing, collaborations, cross-border transactions and joint ventures.
- Advised a global pharmaceutical business on supply contracts across Europe for its COVID-19 vaccine.
- Advised a number of UK and international financial services organisations on the outsourcing of business services and the procurement of IT systems.
- Advised a leading global entertainments organisation on a wide range of commercial contracts, including IT supply, marketing, events, sponsorship and procurement contracts.
- Advised a major UK brewer and pub company on a range of commercial contract matters.
- Advised a leading food product manufacturer on commercial supply and distribution deals.
- University of Edinburgh, LLB (Hons) First Class, 1993; Diploma in Legal Practice, 1994
- "John McKinlay is "absolutely first class" because "he takes a pragmatic approach to matters, and is very approachable and very knowledgeable on the outsourcing of IT services." (Chambers and Partners UK 2017)
- "John McKinlay is well respected by market sources for his skilled handling of commercial IP transactions." (Chambers and Partners UK 2017)
- "John McKinlay is ‘easy to work with, commercial, and very bright." (Legal 500, UK 2016)
Memberships And Affiliations
- Convenor of the Law Society of Scotland's Technology Law and Practice Committee
My latest insights
Direct and indirect losses and damages: a multi-jurisdictional outlook
30 November 2023 .8 minute read
DLA Piper advises YouGov on the acquisition of GfK's consumer panel business
13 July 2023 .2 minute read