Laurent Massinon focuses on banking, finance and capital markets transactional matters. He also advises on any regulatory matters within the banking, finance, capital markets and (re-)insurance sectors. In addition, Laurent is also leading restructuring matters.
He advises banks, professionals of the financial sector, (re-) insurance companies, listed and non-listed companies and securitisation undertakings on regulatory issues such as banking, finance, capital markets and (re-)insurance matters.
Laurent's areas of practice include cross-border banking and capital markets transactions (including issues of debt and equity securities such as high-yield bonds issues and IPOs, (de-)listings, takeovers, exchange offers and buy backs), structured finance, acquisition finance, restructuring and insolvency as well as (re-)insurance transactions.
- Advising a French group in the telecommunication sector on the financing of an EUR18 billion acquisition.
- Advising an American group in the design, manufacturing, and marketing of industrial and consumer products sector on the financing of an USD13.8 billion acquisition.
- Advising an American group in the design, manufacturing, and marketing of industrial and consumer products sector on its entry into a US commercial paper program for USD11.5 billion.
- Advising an American group being the world's largest medical device company on its public offering of notes of up to EUR7 billion and the corresponding tender offerings as well as on its second public offering of notes of up to EUR5 billion and the corresponding tender offerings.
- Advising an American group in the design, manufacturing, and marketing of industrial and consumer products sector on the issuance of CHF750 million senior fixed-rate bonds.
- Advising Luxembourg securitisation vehicles on a multi-issuer programme of USD500 million with notes listed on the Official List of the Luxembourg Stock Exchange and admitted to trading on the Euro MTF market.
- Advising a Luxembourg energy provider on its issuance of bond certificates and entry into several Schuldschein loans for EUR250 million.
- Advising a German Bank on the financing of a project on the construction of the Grimsas wind farm in Sweden for EUR32.25 million.
- Advising a Luxembourg company on its issuance of CHESS Depository Interests for AUD11 million in connection with its launch of Low Earth Orbit Satellites.
- Advising a Luxembourg subsidiary of a Swiss Life insurance company on life insurance products linked to internal dedicated funds/collective funds.
- University of Luxembourg, Complementary courses, 2005
- Université libre de Bruxelles, Master's degree in economic law, 2003
- Université libre de Bruxelles, Master's degree in law, 2002
- “Leading Individual” Legal 500, 2020-2022
- “Highly regarded” IFLR1000, 2019-2022
- "Laurent Massinon is the firm’s most visible finance lawyer and has a strong commercial mindset, combined with an extensive expertise in project finance." Legal 500, 2022
- “Able to deal with the full spectrum of the banking, finance and capital markets”, “outstanding individual in the financial regulatory sphere” Legal 500, 2020
- “Professional and approachable.” Legal 500, 2019
- “For his knowledge of the country legislative framework” and “his good attention to detail and to the client's needs.” IFLR1000, 2019
- “For his good legal work and active profile in banking and finance.” Chambers, 2018
- “Excellent professional and personal contact.” IFLR1000, 2018
- “Very reliable, calm and always having a positive attitude, being solution-oriented.” Chambers Europe, 2017
- “Knowledgeable and analytical.” The Legal 500, 2017
- “Has a sound knowledge of the country legislative framework. Good attention to detail and to the client's needs.” IFLR1000, 2017
Laurent has written and co-authored publications on:
- Important publication of new CSSF circular on outsourcing arrangements, 26 April 2022
- "Outsourcing arrangements: Revised EBA guidelines and legal requirements in Luxembourg, France and Germany", PIN Code by Legitech, 2021
- "Artificial Intelligence in the Luxembourg Financial Sector", Agefi Luxembourg, March 2021
- "The capital markets recovery package", Laurent Massinon and Christina Nickel, 13 October 2020
- “Initial coin offerings in Luxembourg - General Overview and legal aspects”, Laurent Massinon and Christina Nickel, 03/2019, Le Guide du Numérique et ses déclinaisons sectorielles, DLA Piper
- “Cloud computing and IT outsourcing relying on a cloud computing infrastructure in Luxembourg - general overview and legal aspects”, Laurent Massinon and Christina Nickel, 03/2018, Revue Luxembourgeoise de Bancassurfinance
- “The revised Transparency Regime: Europe's next step towards more sustainable markets”, Laurent Massinon and Christina Nickel, 09/2016, Revue Luxembourgeoise de Bancassurfinance
- “The Luxembourg regime on ongoing disclosure obligations for listed companies as regards major shareholdings and transactions carried out by the management”, Laurent Massinon and Fabienne Schauber, 06/2015, Revue Luxembourgeoise de Bancassurfinance
Laurent regularly chairs and organises conferences and seminars in Luxembourg and abroad. He is also invited by banks for internal training sessions as well as for internal regulatory assessment purposes.
- Moderator of the Debt Capital Markets Panel: “A look at debt capital markets” at the 18th IFLR Annual European Capital Markets Forum in London (05/2021)
- Invited as speaker during the PIN Code webinar “Legal requirements of outsourcing arrangements and the related EBA guidelines” (05/2021)
- Invited as speaker in the webinar Listing opportunities in Luxembourg. New trends and forthcoming challenges (02/2021)
- Moderator of the Debt Capital Markets Panel on “The Prospectus Regulation, Brexit, Green bonds and other key developments affecting the debt capital markets” at the 16th IFLR Annual European Capital Markets Forum in London (04/2019)
- Invited as trainer of the House of Training in Luxembourg for a workshop on legal consideration for banking on blockchain (04/2019)
- Invited as speaker at HSBC on MiFID 2 (04/2017)
- Invited as speaker and panelist at the Bay Pay Forum on PSD2 (09/2016)
- Invited as capital markets expert at Deutsches Aktieninstitut to speak on the regulatory approach of the Luxembourg Supervision Commission of the Financial Sector (03/2015)
- Chaired various conferences organised with the International Faculty for Executives, such as the capital markets forum (11/2014), the conference on the Luxembourg law on prospectuses and its recent changes (06/2014) and the conference on issuance of debt securities in Luxembourg (11/2013)
- 2017 to date: Partner, DLA Piper, Luxembourg
- 2012-17: Partner, International Law Firm, Luxembourg
- 2004-12: Senior Associate, Magic Circle Law Firm, Luxembourg
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member of the Association of the Insurance and Re-Insurance Companies in Luxembourg (ACA)
- Representative of DLA Piper Luxembourg at the LuxCMA (Luxembourg Capital Markets Association)
- Member of the International Bar Association (IBA)
- Member of the Association of Banking Lawyers (Association des Juristes de Droit Bancaire) (ALJB) in Luxembourg
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises Medtronic on public offering of EUR3.5 billion of senior notes
26 September 2022 .2 minute read
DLA Piper Luxembourg has advised 3R Petroleum subsidiary to obtain funds for Petrobras...
18 August 2022 .1 minute read