Christoph Engelmann is a media regulatory lawyer with more than 12 years of professional experience.
He advises national and international companies from the media and technology sectors on telecommunications, gambling and media (regulatory) law, including advertising and the protection of minors, as well as other regulated areas of law. For enforcement purposes, he represents his clients before regulatory authorities (including the German Federal Network Agency, gambling authorities and state media authorities) and before the administrative courts.
He also defends national and international companies in various regulated industries in administrative offence proceedings against corporate fines, including in broadcasting law, anti-money laundering law and data protection law.
In addition, Christoph Engelmann advises international companies on payment service law issues in relation to the EU Payment Services Directive (PSD2) as well as on regulatory issues related to NFTs and cryptocurrencies.
As Legal Tech Fellow, Christoph is jointly responsible for DLA Piper's legal tech strategy in Germany.
- Advising and representing various companies in all aspects of gambling law including obtaining gambling licences, with regard to advertising regulation and payment processing, and administrative court proceedings against orders and interdictions under gambling law.
- Advising and representing media companies (broadcasters, publishing houses and website operators) in regulatory proceedings before administrative authorities and administrative courts, e.g. on advertising regulation, protection of minors, broadcasting licenses and media concentration law.
- Defence of companies from various regulated industries (such as media, entertainment, telecommunications, aviation, securities and building materials) in administrative offence proceedings to defend against company fines.
- Advising international companies on telecommunications law issues.
- Advising and representing an international telecommunications provider in dispute resolution proceedings before the regulatory authority in the area of Internet of Things.
- Advising international companies on the differentiation between payment services requiring authorisation and payment transactions not requiring authorisation, including payment cards.
- Free State of Thuringia, Second State Examination, 2008
- German University of Administrative Sciences Speyer, Administrative Sciences Postgraduate Studies, 2007
- Friedrich Schiller University Jena, First State Examination, 2006
Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Anglo-American and International Legal Studies, 2004
Awards & Recognitions
- Legal 500 Germany 2020: Recommended for media: entertainment (incl. gaming); “one of the first names for gambling law in Germany” (2019)
- Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers 2023: Recommended for media law
Christoph regularly publishes articles on media law and gambling law.
- Chapter on gambling regulation in Germany in the handbook "Getting The Deal Through: Gaming", 2020 edition (with Dr. Michael Stulz-Herrnstadt)
- "Internet ban on poker and casino games complies with EU law", Comments on the judgment of the Federal Administrative Court of 26.10.2017, GRUR-Prax 2018, 267 (with Dr. Michael Stulz-Herrnstadt)
- "The new German Anti Money-Laundering Act – Impact on Gambling Operators", ZfWG 2017, 475 (with Dr. Michael Stulz-Herrnstadt)
- New German Anti-Money Laundering Act - impact on gambling operators, 26 Jun 2017
- "Sports betting operation permitted without order of approval", Comments on the judgment of the Higher Administrative Court Kassel of 29.5.2017, GRUR-Prax 2017, 387 (with Dr. Michael Stulz-Herrnstadt)
- "Sports betting intermediation permitted with EU-concession in North Rhine-Westphalia", Comments on the judgment of the Higher Administrative Court Muenster of 23.1.2017, GRUR-Prax 2017, 132 (with Dr. Michael Stulz-Herrnstadt)
PRESENTATIONS AND SEMINARS
- How to Navigate EU NFT Regulation, NFT.NYC, Panel, 12.04.2023 (inter alia together with Dr. Nico Brunotte)
- Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs) – Use Cases for Companies, Webinar, 28.02.2023 (together with Toan Nguyen and Thanh Dao, both Jung von Matt NERD, and Dr. Nico Brunotte)
- The 5 most important (legal) issues in NFT projects, Hi.Web3 Frankfurt, 10.12.2022 (together with Dr. Nico Brunotte)
- Top 5 Legal Issues for NFT Projects, NFT.London, Panel, 04.11.2022 (inter alia with Dr. Nico Brunotte)
- New Legal Horizons Podcast: The future of the internet – what should be taken into account with NFTs and Web3 from a legal point of view?, 26.10.2022 (with Fabian Zentel and Dr. Nico Brunotte)
- NFT Projects: Made in Germany, Online-Panel, 03.12.2021 (inter alia with Dr. Theo Pham)
- Legal Tech and Big Law, University of St. Gallen, 01.12.2021, Webinar (together with Hanna Lütkens and Dr. Nico Brunotte)
- Legal Tech at DLA Piper, jura connect Freiburg, Heidelberg and Tübingen, Webinar, 26.01.2021 (together with Dr. Nico Brunotte)
- Change Council for radical change: How DLA Piper is driving innovation, Juve Signale, Cologne, 05.03.2020
Before Christoph joined the Hamburg office of DLA Piper in the year 2015 he worked at two international law firms in Hamburg since his admission to the German bar in April 2009. Part of his work was a secondment to the legal department of a German television broadcaster. Prior to this he worked at the German embassy in Copenhagen in the year 2008 during his legal traineeship.
Memberships And Affiliations
- German-British Jurists' Association
My latest insights
DLA Piper represents ProSieben before the Higher Administrative Court of Berlin...
5 September 2022 .3 minute read
DLA Piper successfully defends "Galileo" for ProSieben at the Higher Administrative Court...
1 June 2022 .3 minute read