Jarrod Isfeld is a capital markets lawyer specializing in entity formation, M&A and capital markets regulatory law.
Jarrod advises both domestic and international issuers, dealers and advisers on formation, financing and ongoing Canadian regulatory compliance, including public listings and private equity fund formation as well as initial registration and ongoing compliance for entities involved in dealing, advising and investment fund management activities.
As a key member of DLA Canada’s Japan Practice Group, Jarrod advises Japanese corporations and investors on matters related to Canadian inbound investment, including acquisition structuring and compliance with Canadian corporate and securities laws.
Known for his deep knowledge in corporate and securities law, Jarrod has contributed to a number of publications on this subject and has taught at the University of Calgary. He has also served as an advisor to the Alberta Securities Commission and is a Former Chair of the Securities and Corporate Finance Section (Alberta-South) of the Canadian Bar Association.
- Lead counsel to Charlotte's Web Holdings, Inc. on sponsorship arrangement with Major League Baseball
- Lead counsel to Charlotte's Web Holdings, Inc. in connection with US$57 million debenture issuance to British American Tobacco
- Lead counsel to RT Mosaic on sale to Cardinal Point Capital Management Ltd.
- Acted for Overbay Capital Partners Inc. in connection with mutual fund trust, private equity fund formation and regulatory matters
- Acted for Main Street Mortgage Investment Corporation in connection with mortgage investment corporation formation and financing
- Acted for Special Committee of Board of Directors of AgJunction Inc. (AJX) in connection with sale to the KUBOTA Corporation
- Acted for Charlotte's Web Holdings, Inc. (TSX:CWEB, OTCQX:CWBHF) in its acquisition of Abacus Health Products, Inc. (CSE:ABCS) by way of an arrangement
- Acted as lead counsel for Charlotte’s Web Holdings, Inc. (TSX:CWEB, OTCQX:CWBHF) in connection with a Secondary Offering of Common Shares pursuant to a short form shelf prospectus for aggregate gross proceeds of $161 million
- Acted for AltaCorp Capital Inc. in connection with a brokered private placement financing of subscription receipts
- Acted for Charlotte’s Web Holdings, Inc. (TSX:CWEB, OTCQX:CWBHF) in connection with the closing of a C$115 million Initial Public Offering and Secondary Offering and listing on the Canadian Stock Exchange
- Advise Partners Group in connection with Canadian registration and fund formation related matters
- Advised German ingredients distributor in connection with joint venture with Canadian ingredients manufacturer
- Acted for Toshiba Corporation in connection with acquisition of material interest in Canadian technology company
- Advise Olympia Trust Company in connection with Canadian registration matters
- Acted for Link Plan Management in connection with registration of one of Alberta’s first robo-advisory firms
- Advised Zelos Capital in connection with fund formation and registration as a portfolio manager, investment fund manager and exempt market dealer
- Acted for Uniquem Inc. in connection with merger with Evolution Energy Services
- Advised private investment group in connection with public recapitalization of New Stratus Energy Inc.
- Advised Viewpoint Global Fund in connection with registration as a portfolio manager, investment fund manager and exempt market dealer
- Advised Toronto based ICO in connection with registration exemptive relief application
- Acted for HydRx Farms in connection with merger with CannScience Innovations (continuing as Scientus Pharma Inc.)
- Advised Russian-based financial institution in connection with USD$2.7 billion debt financing
- Acted for Merrco Payments Inc. in connection with private placement financing
- Advised Baby Gourmet Foods Inc. in connection with debenture financing
- LL.B., University of British Columbia. 1999
- B.A. (Economics), Hitotsubashi University, Japan, 1996
- Co-Author, "Regulation of Cryptocurrencies in Canada", Exchange-International: Financial Services Regulation Newsletter Series, DLA Piper, Feb 2018
- Dealing with conflicts of interest for registrants - disclosure is not enough, 24 May 2017
- Frequently asked questions: non-Canadian funds selling in Canada, 24 Apr 2017
- Canadian Securities Regulators implement new requirements to complete phase 2 of the client relationship model, 19 Jul 2016
- Canadian investment fund regulatory review for Q3 - 2015, 20 Oct 2015
- Author, "Guide to Listing in Canada", DLA Piper (Canada) LLP, Oct 2015
Memberships And Affiliations
- Advisor, Alberta Securities Commission - Exempt Market Dealer Advisory Committee
- Former Chair, Securities and Corporate Finance (Alberta South), Canadian Bar Association
- Former Sessional Instructor (Securities Law), University of Calgary, Faculty of Law
My latest insights
Canadian Securities Administrators warn investors about risks of crypto asset trading
30 November 2022 .2 minute read
Canadian Securities Administrators seek comment on proposed National Instrument 51-107 -...
20 October 2021 .5 minute read