Dr Thilo Streit LL.M.Counsel
Dr Thilo Streit is Counsel in our regulatory practice. He advises international and national private and public undertakings and represents the interests of our clients in courts as well as before authorities.
Thilo specializes in foreign trade and payments law including the law of foreign direct investments, export control law and compliance, foreign sanctions, and foreign payment notification requirements. He advises and represents manufacturers and distributors of all kinds of potentially critical goods (listed an non-listed dual use, armament) on export control law and supports them concerning the setup of export compliance systems. He also advises represents international strategic and financial investors as well as sellers on German and European FDI requirements.
As a former secondee to one of the largest international medical devices manufacturers he also has long standing expertise in life sciences regulation. Thilo supports manufacturers from the life science and healthcare sector (especially pharma, medical devices, and IVD) with regard to all regulatory questions (cooperation with healthcare professionals, research funding, product compliance, product responsibility, market access, healthcare marketing) where he teams up with our IPT teams.
Thilo also has long-standing experience in product law and product compliance, environmental law, aviation law, and public subsidies/state aid. As a product lawyer, he also advises i.a. electronics, chemical, and machinery manufacturers on product law and product compliance including product recalls and waste law.
- Advising and representing a Chinese investment fund regarding the acquisition of a German semiconductor company with regard to the notification and investigation process of the purchase at the Federal Ministry of Economic Affairs (BMWi) under foreign investment regulation (FDI).
- Advising and representing a French investment fund regarding the indirect acquisition of a German armament manufacturer with regard to the FDI notification.
- International coordination of FDI notification processes in six jurisdictions with regard to the acquisition of a German manufacturer of dual-use goods by an Indian investment consortium.
- Advising and representing a Canadian investor on the acquisition of a German distributor of medical cannabis on the FDI notification and on pharmaceutical compliance requirements.
- Advising and representing a US manufacturer regarding the potential diversion of goods manufactured by its German subsidiary to Iran with regards to German, EU and US law, including representation against authorities, and international investigation in UAE, Kuwait, and Germany.
- Advising and representing a worldwide leading Europe based manufacturer of soft- and hardware on breaches of export control law, reviewing the existing export compliance system by internal audit and advising on updating the compliance system based on the findings.
- Advising a US re-insurance company's German branch on compliance with EU and German economic and financial sanctions as well as on German counter-rules against compliance with foreign sanctions, especially with regard to the EU Blocking Statute against US Iran sanctions.
- Advising an international pharmaceutical manufacturer and conducting an internal investigation with regard to potential breaches of GMP rules.
- Advising international pharmaceutical and medical devices manufacturers on research agreements with German universities.
- Advising international manufacturers of medical devices concerning internal compliance programs, especially with regard to cooperation with healthcare professionals and advertising.
- Heinrich-Heine-Universität Düsseldorf, Ph.D., 2005
- Berlin Appellate Court, Second State Exam, 1999
- The University of Texas, School of Law, Austin, Texas, LL.M., 1997
Universität Augsburg, First state exam, 1994
- JUVE Handbook 2022/2023: Frequently recommended for foreign trade law: investment control; “very high level of expertise, fast response time and client-oriented support”, client
- Legal 500 Germany 2023: Recommended for trade and distribution law: foreign trade law, advice of the transport sector and public sector: planning and environment (incl. product-related advice); 2022. “Has a comprehensive in-depth knowledge of foreign trade law. Simply a very competent and experienced subject matter expert.”
- Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers 2023/2024: Recommended for public law
Memberships And Affiliations
- Gesellschaft für Umweltrecht (Association for Environmental Law)
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises Rosen on sale of majority stake to Partners Group
28 November 2023 .3 minute read
DLA Piper advises Keensight Capital on investment in Bentley Endovascular Group AB
30 October 2023 .2 minute read