Justin March is the head of our real estate practice in New Zealand. He has been involved in real estate for close to 30 years.
Justin's clients typically have significant property portfolios and operate across a broad range of industry sectors.
He regularly advises domestic and global corporates which operate across multiple jurisdictions. Increasingly, he has been involved in new foreign entrants in the New Zealand market.
Justin advises on commercial property, infrastructure and developments. He has been involved in significant commercial and residential projects.
- Adviser to Foodstuffs, New Zealand's largest grocery distributor and one of New Zealand's largest organisations on all property related matters relating to the company’s strategic properties and multi-million dollar property portfolio.
- Advised Television New Zealand on the sale of two CBD commercial properties in Auckland to Sky City for its $400 million international standard National Convention Centre development.
- Advised Tiffany & Co, an iconic jeweller, on its much publicised entry into New Zealand on its flagship store project in the prestigious high-end Britomart precinct in downtown Auckland.
- Adviser to the Cornwall Park Trust Board on its significant land holdings, including parkland, a large residential property portfolio of over 100 ground leases, sports clubs, show grounds and an educational institution.
- Advised L & Y Holdings, a multi-national developer of its NZ$100 million commercial retail, residential and public carpark development project integrated with a Council public square and railway station on Broadway Newmarket comprising over 500 strata titles.
- Advised Asia Pacific on the Public Works Act acquisition by the Crown of a substantial land holding of around 200 hectares for the Puhoi to Warkworth Stage Ara Tuhono-Puhoi to Wellsford Motorway Project.
- Advised a global hospitality leader on its luxury hotel developed by Beijing based Fu Wah International Group at Auckland Waterfront Wynyard Precinct.
- Advised Yashili, a Chinese listed company, one of the largest domestic paediatric milk formula producers in China, on its acquisition and development of a milk processing facility project in Pokeno, with a project value in excess of $100 million.
- Advisor to Australia's and South African owned Pepkor South East Asia entrance in the New Zealand market following its acquisition of portfolio of over 60 retail stores across the country.
- Advised Auckland Council on various notable projects, including the Public Works Act acquisition of land from Contact Energy for a major motorway interchange for access to Highbrook Business Park, the Telstra Pacific Events Centre project at Manukau City, the transfer of property assets from Council to Manukau Water Limited and the sewerage easement plant at Kawakawa Bay.
University of Auckland, LLB, 1983
- Justin is ranked in the 2019 Legal 500 Asia-Pacific rankings as a leading individual in Real Estate and Construction.
- Justin is also ranked as a leading Real Estate lawyer in the Chambers Asia-Pacific 2019 rankings.
- Justin is ranked as a Leading Individual for Real Estate in the Legal 500 Asia-Pacific 2018 rankings. Legal 500 praised the "very experienced" Justin on his expertise in advising clients such as "grocery distribution giant Foodstuffs North Island." Clients have remarked that the team he leads is "A-plus, with top-class industry knowledge" and they "cannot recommend it highly enough."
- Justin is ranked as a leading Real Estate lawyer in Chambers Asia-Pacific 2017, with Chambers commenting on “the multidisciplinary composition” of his team and “its easy access to partners in related practice areas”. Clients remark that Justin and his team “understand our business and meet or exceed our expectations.”
- Justin was ranked as a leading Real Estate lawyer in Chambers Asia-Pacific 2016, with Chambers noting that he 'impresses market commentators with his "good commercial brain and excellent strategic guidance." Clients report: "He is excellent, he understands our business, gives pragmatic advice, has the technical ability and legal accuracy, and is responsive and efficient when handling matters."
- Justin was ranked as a leading Real Estate lawyer in Chambers Asia-Pacific 2016, with Chambers noting that he 'impresses market commentators with his "good commercial brain and excellent strategic guidance." Clients report: "He is excellent, he understands our business, gives pragmatic advice, has the technical ability and legal accuracy, and is responsive and efficient when handling matters."'
- Justin was ranked as a leading Real Estate lawyer in Chambers Asia-Pacific Guide 2015, with Chambers commenting that 'one appreciative client states: "He was very accurate and reliable, with an excellent understanding of our business, and so commercial and pragmatic with it."'
- Justin was ranked as a leading Real Estate lawyer in Chambers Asia-Pacific Guide 2014 and 2015, with clients praising him for being 'technically very astute, also very good at identifying the risk.'
- Justin was ranked as a leading Real Estate lawyer in Chambers Asia-Pacific Guide 2013, with clients praising him as 'thorough and professional,' and noting, 'He delivers expert advice and has a real wealth of specialist knowledge.'
Memberships And Affiliations
- New Zealand Law Society
- New Zealand Law Society Property Transactions Committee
- Auckland District Law Society Property Law Committee
- Auckland District Law Society Forms and Precedents Committee
- Property Council of New Zealand