Robert Seidel K.C.Partner
Robert Seidel, K.C., is the Canada Managing Partner. He has deep experience in all aspects of energy law, environmental law, natural resource law, corporate/commercial and M&A law, real estate law, forestry law, commercial lending and infrastructure & project finance.
Robert works with clients in both the private and public sectors, with an emphasis on providing legal and strategic business advice to senior executives, boards of directors and elected officials.
The establishment of board governance and accountability frameworks in the private and public sectors is an important segment of Robert’s practice. He regularly provides opinions to elected and senior public officials in all levels of government relating to their obligations and duties as representatives of government, as well as advice on other matters including land assembly, energy, environment and natural resource matters. Robert regularly provides guidance on decision-making, judicial challenges and strategies including the development and analysis of public policy. Robert is a member of the Board of Public and Private Corporations.
Robert advises clients in the oil and gas industry regularly, including matters ranging from heavy oil and oil sands extraction, to the acquisition and management of former petroleum distribution sites, contaminated sites, to other conventional oil and gas upstream and downstream issues and environmental matters. He has advised Canada’s largest integrated oil company on all areas of business, as well as some of Canada’s largest companies involved in the fields of energy, environment and natural resources.
Robert’s experience includes advising clients on rights, liabilities and obligations concerning environmental issues arising in business transactions and the use of property. He counsels clients on the establishment of strategic frameworks for new business initiatives and the establishment of new methods and vehicles for delivering environmental outcomes and services. Other environmental matters includes counsel on climate change, greenhouse gas emissions, use and management of water resources, waste management and recycling, as well as the conservation of natural resources including forestry and wildlife.
- Acted for Western Forest Products Inc. in the completion of its $230 million secondary offering
- Acted for Rubicon Minerals Corporation on its $12 Million Bought Deal Flow-Through Financing.
- Acted for Rubicon Minerals Corporation on its $115 Million Bought Deal Financing
- Acted for Western Forest Products on its $91 Million Secondary Offering by Brookfield Special Situations
- Acted for Western Forest Products on its $66.7 Million Secondary Offering by Brookfield Special Situations
- LL.B., University of Alberta, 1983
- B.Comm., (with Distinction), University of Alberta, 1980
- Best Lawyers in Canada (Corporate Law), 2013-2023
- Chambers Canada (Corporate/Commercial - Alberta), 2018-2019
- The Legal 500 Canada (Energy: Oil and Gas), 2016; (Environment), 2016-2022; (Corporate and M&A), 2018
- Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (Corporate Mid-Market), 2012-2023; (Corporate Commercial), 2019-2023
- Alberta's Centennial Medal, 2005
- Queen's Counsel, 1997
- Martindale-Hubbell, Distinguished® Peer Review Rated
- Former chair, Glenrose Rehabilitation Hospital Fund Raising Committee
- Trustee, Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research
Memberships And Affiliations
- Chair, Board of Alberta Innovates Health Solutions
- Member, Board of the Alberta Medical Research Heritage Foundation
- Member, Board of Directors of the Certified Management Accountants of Alberta
- Member, Board of Public and Private Corporations
- Former Chair, Glenrose Rehabilitation Hospital Fund Raising Committee
- Former Member, Board of Governors of Grant MacEwan College
- Former Chair, Audit Committee of the Board of Grant MacEwan College
- Former Chair, Grant MacEwan College Foundation
- Former Member, Board of the Edmonton Art Gallery
- Former Vice-Chair, Trustees of the Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Edmonton Bar Association