Satnam SahotaHe/himLegal Director
Satnam is an experienced IP specialist providing both litigious and non-litigious advice across all strands of IP. Ranging from drafting IP-sharing licensing arrangements, through to strategically dealing with pre-action negotiations on trademark disputes, through to running Patent Court proceedings.
Through this experience, Satnam has become a core pillar of DLA’s Midlands IP practice. While Satnam’s skills carry across all sectors, he has particular experience in the Sports & Retail sectors. Outside of IP, Satnam also has vast experience in drafting and negotiating a wide-range of commercial contracts.
- Representing Greencastle in its High Court claim against professional rugby players James Haskell, Mike Tindall and Alex Payne for trademark infringement and passing off in relation to podcasts.
- A senior member within DLA Piper's "Premier League" team, advising the Premier League Football Association Limited in relation to their on-going enforcement claims for copyright infringement against approx. 2000 public establishments.
- Advising Heineken in relation to advertising campaigns parodying world-famous pieces of art (e.g. Michelangelo’s David via “Dave-O”).
- Representing Spinmaster (owner of the Bakugan brand/anime) in relation to toy transformation technology infringements in co-ordinated multi-jurisdictional litigation (UK, Canada, Australia and US).
- Acting for a bidder in the 2022 purchase of Chelsea Football Club.
- Oxford University, IP Diploma, 2015
- College of Law, LPC, 2010
- Warwick University, LLB, 2009
- Ranked as Tier 1 "Next Generation" IP Lawyer by Legal 500 for 2017 and 2018.
- Satnam obtained a Distinction in both the LPC (with the highest marks in the region) and the IP Diploma from Oxford University (top 15% of marks).
- IP session to Red Cross (200 delegates)
- IP session to Aston Uni (50 delegates)
- Regularly speaker at DLA WIN events
- International secondment to Middle East (UAE, Saudia Arabia): 2012
- Secondment to Barclaycard: 2012
- Secondment to NCR: 2013
- Satnam's social interests include football (including communication with IFAB on rule changes!), musicals, and The Dark Knight!