Leon Medzhibovsky is a highly regarded litigator focusing on intellectual property, trade secret, software and technology related commercial disputes.He helps clients solve their most challenging business problems arising from sophisticated business and commercial matters.
The subject matter of these disputes has ranged widely across the field of complex litigation, and includes software and computer systems, systems integration, consumer products, healthcare, aviation, FinTech, telecommunications, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and numerous types of general business-to-business technology related litigation.
Clients also turn to Leon for his extensive experience with complex domestic and multi-jurisdictional commercial technology disputes, seeking his counsel on high-stakes transactions involving intellectual property assets and cutting-edge technologies, in such areas as joint ventures, strategic alliances, collaborations, licensing, software development and systems integration agreements.
Leon is a board observer and member of the strategy steering committee for several technology, data/machine learning and software companies. From protecting intellectual property and technology to strategic risk assessment, Leon focuses on the whole picture and provides concise, practical and business-oriented advice.
Examples of reported cases where he has led litigation teams include:
- Represented a multinational consulting, technology, professional and outsourcing services company in a litigation for breach of contract, and ancillary claims for violation of trade secret and IP infringement. The successful opposition of a TRO and preliminary injunction motions resulted in a favorable resolution of the case, including a continued business relationship on significantly more favorable terms
- Representing a data and analytics provider, in litigation against an information technology and digital engineering firm for breach of contract, fraud, and related IP and commercial claims, in connection with a dispute arising from a large-scale software development and digital transformation project
- World Trade Centers Association Inc. v. The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (S.D.N.Y.) − Defended the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in a trademark infringement and breach of contract action; prevailed on summary judgment and secured dismissal of all seven causes of action for breach of license agreements and trademark infringement regarding the iconic World Trade Center name
- Represented an IT and consulting company and a payment services company in copyright infringement, trade secret misappropriation, breach of contract, and related tort action concerning payment processing software technology; secured summary judgment (three separate decisions), upheld on appeal, resulting in dismissal of all 11 causes of action brought under federal, state and foreign law and also obtained a multimillion-dollar award of attorneys’ fees and costs
- America’s Collectibles Network v. The Genuine Gemstone Company (E.D. Tenn.) – Defended the Genuine Gemstone Company in a patent infringement action obtaining complete victory on summary judgment
- Moroccanoil, Inc. v. Avon Products, Inc. (S.D.N.Y.) – defended Avon in a trademark and trade dress infringement action, obtaining favorable settlement for client and dismissal of all claims
- Represented a technology solutions and consulting company in an offensive trademark infringement action, obtaining a temporary restraining order, preliminary injunction, permanent injunction and favorable attorneys' fees award
- XY SkinCare & Cosmetics LLC v. Hugo Boss (D. Ariz.) - Defended Hugo Boss USA, Inc. and Hugo Boss Retail, Inc. in a trademark infringement action in Arizona District Court, obtaining complete victory for the client on summary judgment, affirmed on appeal by the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Gado S.r.l. (Dolce and Gabbana) v. Parfums DelRae (S.D.N.Y.) – Represented a subsidiary of Dolce & Gabbana in a trademark infringement action, obtaining favorable settlement following discovery and extensive motion practice
Other representative disputes, counseling and transactional experience
- Represented a multinational consulting, technology, professional and outsourcing services company in an IT contract (over US$100 million in value) dispute with a consortium of government agencies for the design, development and implementation of an automated social benefits system. Implementing a government relations strategy, as lead litigation counsel, Leon led the case through extensive administrative legal proceedings and litigation, ultimately achieving a successful resolution of the dispute, resulting in a negotiated contract extension. By 2019 the social benefits systems were successfully deployed, which in 2020 provided critical social benefits and COVID relief
- Successful representation of a Brazilian-based multinational sportswear, apparel and footwear manufacturer in an ICDR arbitration in connection with a US$90 million claim for breach of an exclusive distribution agreement in Asia
- Represented an aircraft manufacturer in a series of technology licensing and sponsorship transactions in connection with the world's premier yachting race
- Represented a global freight and logistics company in a multibillion-dollar technology and service outsourcing dispute and resulting favorable transaction resolving the dispute
- Counseled a global pharmaceutical company in connection with a wide range of commercial contracts, including distribution and supply agreements, services agreements, tolling agreements, software agreements
- Counseled a developer of infrared sensing technology for aviation industry in connection with its commercial contracts and supply agreements
- J.D., Brooklyn Law School
- B.A., Philosophy, New York University
- Acritas, Stand-Out Lawyer (2021)
- "He is a very solution-oriented advisor, very practical and is usually thinking about our needs and addressing the needs that we may not have raised at the time." Client Review, 2021
- "Always anticipating our needs and gives good advice." Client Review, 2021
- "He's extremely objective-oriented, competent, and extremely results-oriented." Client Review, 2018
For more information, pursuant to New Jersey Lawyer Advertising guidance, please click here.
- Co-author, "Trade Secret Litigation," Corporate Disputes Magazine, October - December, 2021
- "Tips for tech cos. developing event sponsorship deals," Law360, Sept. 17, 2018
Memberships And Affiliations
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- New York State Bar Association
- Bar Association of the City of New York