Paul ReeskampHe/himOf Counsel
Paul Reeskamp is a market leading IP litigator, with particular experience in patent litigation having acted on a number of high profile, cross-border disputes. Paul has more than 30 years of litigation experience.
His clients include national Dutch companies as well as international blue chip companies in a wide range of industries including biotechnology, pharmaceutical, dredging and off shore, the financial sector as well as the fast moving consumer goods industries.
- Representing Fresenius Kabi regarding introduction of a variant of the pemetrexed chemotherapy drug. This has been one of the most tried patent case in Europe of the past years. The team successfully swayed the court on the merits to find the product non infringing in contrast to the finding of its Court of Appeal in PI proceedings. International coordination is key in this dispute, which is meanwhile pending with the Dutch Supreme Court.
- Representing various AbbVie entities in a multi jurisdictional patent infringement matter. AbbVie alleged that J&J's block buster Stelara® infringed two of AbbVie's patents. This case centred around the human immune response and the technology of antibody engineering.
- Representing MBH International in a multi jurisdictional patent litigation versus Coloplast. The matter regards catheters with a hydrophilic coating. The team prevailed in all four instances which has been an important factor towards a favourable settlement. We were involved in developing the litigation strategy in Europe.
- Representing Novartis in a highly complex patent litigation in the field of biotechnology (phage display). This case concerns Novartis' blockbuster medicine "Lucentis". One of the (many) issues at stake are patentability of "reach through" claims and "directly obtained". The court proceedings were part of a multi jurisdictional patent dispute.
- Representing Novozymes in patent litigation against Danisco. Both companies are global leaders in the field of enzymes. This case regards Novozymes' patent on heat resistant enzymes granulates. Also this matter is part of a multi jurisdictional patent dispute.Technology
- Representing Canadian company SMART Tech in fast track proceedings before the District Court The Hague. SMART Tech is leader on the market of interactive whiteboards.
- Representing LG Electronics in patent infringement proceedings against Philips. This case regarded industry standards (JPEG) and disclosure of essential patents (in the field of data compression) during the standardisation setting process. This case was part of an international patent dispute.
- Initiating arrow declaration and non-infringement proceedings on behalf of Euro-Caps, the second largest coffee capsule manufacturer against its competitor Alice Allison. These proceedings pertain to the patent law aspects of Nespresso compatible coffee capsules.
- Patent dispute on behalf of market leader and patent holder Asetek, against a substantial patent infringement in the field of liquid computer cooling systems.
- Representing patent holder Tempels in patent infringement and invalidity proceedings before the District Court The Hague regarding a patent on a certain biscuit with indent (beschuit met inkeping) (rusk).
- University of Amsterdam, LL.M., 1985
Awards and Recognitions
- Chambers Europe 2020: “Paul Reeskamp is a great litigator. He possesses the rare ability to adapt strategy even during oral hearings. He is able to listen, and he reflects and – if needed – acts upon advice of the client even under stress.”
- Legal 500 EMEA 2020: “DLA Piper‘s patent team has strong experience in the biotech, medical devices, oil and gas sectors. It is also well noted for its global network of offices. Key clients include Fresenius Kabi, Smart Technologies Corporation, and Merus. A notable matter highlight includes the representation of Fresenius Kabi in a high-profile patent infringement case against Eli Lilly concerning the generic drug Alimta®. Practice head Paul Reeskamp advised Fresenius Kabi on this matter.”
- IAM Patent 2019: “Fully lifecycle patent practice is the name of the game at DLA Piper, which thrives in the cut and thrust of litigation and deal negotiation and proficiently handles asset management and restructuring tasks. With veteran litigator Paul Reeskamp and legal director Alexander Tsoutsanis on deck, heavy-duty patent litigation is a forte for the Dutch team, which is currently busy on sundry important cases: Reeskamp is representing Fresenius Kabi in the Dutch and Belgian aspects of its global litigation against Eli Lilly regarding the latter’s blockbuster Alimta Drug.”
- Presentation at C5 conference Pharma & Biotech Patent Litigation on the EU enforcement directive 2020
- Presentation at C5 conference Pharma & Biotech Patent Litigation on the doctrine of equivalence 2019
- Presentation at Managing Intellectual Property, European Life Sciences Forum 2018, re Defending 2nd Medical Indication Claims in the Netherlands 2018
Memberships And Affiliations
- EPLAW - European Patent Lawyers Association
- AIPPI - Member Standing Committee Q222 (Standards and Patents)
- VIEPA - Dutch association for IP litigation lawyers, Vereniging Intellectuele Eigendom Proces Advocaten
- WIPO - (World Intellectual Property Organization) domain name arbitration panellist