Your global arbitration and enforcement counsel
We are a cohesive, global team of lawyers and problem-solvers who provide the dispute resolution and advisory services you need across all major business markets. Our highly regarded international arbitration lawyers provide you with a combination of world-class experience, country-specific legal acumen, seamless teamwork, and deep sector insights.
As global trade and geopolitical tensions continue to drive cross-border disputes, international arbitration has become the preferred method of resolving such conflicts. Arbitration offers the benefits of neutrality, flexibility, confidentiality and better prospects for enforcement, as compared to national court-based litigation.
We provide the advice you need to incorporate optimum international arbitration agreements in commercial contracts so you are strategically well-positioned when a dispute arises, including allowing for the negotiation and settlement of disputes. Given the multitude of options in terms of arbitral institutions, seat and governing law, it is not always straightforward to make the right choices in an arbitration agreement. Getting tailored advice from experienced international arbitration lawyers from contract drafting stage to dispute resolution is critical to enhance options for early settlement and ensure an enforceable outcome.
“No stones were left unturned until they had found the angles and issues that made the case what it ended up being, giving us the leverage we were looking for in a complicated dispute against very experienced opponents.”
With an unparalleled presence on six continents, we serve as counsel and sit as arbitrators under all major institutional and ad hoc procedural rules. These include the AAA/ICDR, CCJA, CIETAC, DIAC, HKIAC, ICC, ICSID, LCIA, Milan Chamber of Commerce, SCC, SIAC, Swiss Arbitration Centre and UNCITRAL. We also advise in disputes that involve sovereign states and claims brought under bilateral investment treaties (BITs), multilateral investment treaties (MITs), including the Energy Charter Treaty (ECT), and national investment codes, as well other cases involving the application of public international and private law matters. We provide investors with strategic advice on investment planning in light of treaty protections, and assist investors, states and state-owned entities through the complexities of their investment disputes. We are also at the forefront of new challenges associated with ESG imperatives, energy and mining, life sciences, and global tech disputes.
Our offering includes a world-leading arbitral award enforcement team experienced in asset identification and seamless US and cross-border enforcement strategy and litigation.
Awards and recognition
- In 2022, DLA Piper was again recognized amongst the global elite for International Arbitration in Global Arbitration Review’s annual rankings of the world’s most active arbitration practices. A client who instructed DLA Piper in a dispute of maximum importance to his company says it was the team’s dedication that impressed him the most: “No stones were left unturned until they had found the angles and issues that made the case what it ended up being, giving us the leverage we were looking for in a complicated dispute against very experienced opponents.”
- DLA Piper’s fees are still below those of their competitors, says the client, with the lead partner providing “an impressive billing discipline.”
- Representing a majority state-owned multinational energy corporation in a series of SCC arbitrations involving multibillion-dollar claims relating to the supply, transit and pricing of gas.
- Representing a US energy giant in an English language, New York law ICC arbitration claim arising out of a combined cycle power plant in Mexico.
- Representing an energy sector client in an English-language, New York law USD100 million ICC arbitration arising out of a methanol plant project in the United States.
- Representing an international crude oil trading company in English, Nigerian and Dutch proceedings against a major Nigerian importer of oil products relating to amounts owed for the sale and conversion of an oil tanker.
- Representing an oil and gas company in an English law London seated LCIA arbitration with respect to a significant gas pricing dispute.
- Representing a US energy giant in a Spanish language, Mexican law LCIA arbitration claim arising out of the electromechanical works on a hydroelectric project in Mexico.
- Representing a major Italian gas company in an ICC arbitration claim valued at USD250 million concerning a gas pricing dispute in Libya in the context of changes in the European gas price market.
- Successfully representing the Republic of Guinea in its defense of parallel multi-billion-dollar ICSID arbitrations brought by the investor alleging expropriation of a mining concession and related rights. BSG Resources Limited, BSG Resources (Guinea) Limited and BSG Resources (Guinea) SÀRL v. Republic of Guinea (ICSID Case No. ARB/14/22), following our investigation of corruption into the acquisition of rights to one of the world’s most important iron ore deposits.
- Successfully representing the Republic of Kenya in the defence of ICSID proceedings brought by Cortec, an investor in the mining sector. This claim was the highest value and most strategically important investment treaty claim Kenya has ever faced. Cortec Mining Kenya Limited, Cortec (Pty) Limited and Stirling Capital Limited v. Republic of Kenya (ICSID Case No. ARB/15/29)
- Representing CCX Colombia in an ICC arbitration concerning the sale of the largest coal reserves in Latin America.
- Representing the Sultanate of Oman in the defense of the first ever claim brought under the US Oman Free Trade Agreement. The claims were valued at USD275 million and arose out of various concessions and lease agreements relating to mining rights. Adel A Hamadi Al Tamimi v. Sultanate of Oman (ICSID Case No. ARB/11/33)
- Successfully representing a leading pharmaceutical company in ICC arbitration proceedings with a value of over USD250 million against a US biopharmaceutical company with respect to breaches of a licensing agreement for the development and sale of a medicinal product.
- Representing a seed-stage venture fund partnering in the creation of medical technology companies and an international biotechnology company in an Orlando seated AAA arbitration against a US consulting services company arising from the breach by the latter of a license agreement with our client.
- Defending a leading provider of innovative medical devices against a EUR3.125 million claim resulting from an acquisition in the Netherlands and securing a full cost order for our client.
- Representing a US pharmaceuticals company as respondent in an SCC arbitration involving a dispute over milestones in a share purchase agreement related to commercial development of pharmaceutical drug
- Successfully representing Lithuania in the defense of UNCITRAL arbitration proceedings brought by an investor in the banking sector.
- Acting for Standard Chartered Bank in both litigation in the Commercial Court in London and potential arbitration with a London seat under ICC Rules in relation to the recovery of over USD130 million connected to the insolvency of a major middle eastern oil trader with far reaching repercussions.
- Acting for a major British bank against significant European financial institutions and a European State in claims arising from the takeover and restructuring of another major European bank in 2007.
- Acting for a major British bank in an ICC arbitration in Paris with respect to EUR135 million involving the restructuring of a consortium arrangement.
- Acting for a subsidiary of a leading multinational conglomerate in a HKIAC arbitration against a Singapore-based subcontractor involving disputes arising from the IT sub-contract package for a construction project in Saudi Arabia.
- Representing a US-based sports data software company in its English language, Tokyo-seated ICDR arbitration with a foreign licensee.
- Representing the privatized telecommunications operator in Albania in its defense of a EUR120 million ICC arbitration involving an Albanian law claim brought by a rival telecommunications operator over an interconnection agreement.
- Representing a major US software and hardware company in an AAA arbitration seated in London and related litigation proceedings brought in California and Delaware involving a dispute with a Swiss mobile software company over the unlicensed use of its intellectual property, breach of contract and copyright, and anti-competitive behavior.
- Achieved a major victory for a Big Four tech sector client in an English language, San Francisco-seated ICC arbitration arising out of breach of a Delaware law confidentiality agreement.
- Representing a large Asian technology service provider in a NOK1.2 billion institutional arbitration subject to Norwegian law concerning a long-term, comprehensive redesign of key communication services offered by a major European telecommunications company.
- For our arbitration experience in Construction, Engineering and Infrastructure please refer to the dedicated page.
- Successfully represented Lithuania in the defense of UNCITRAL arbitration proceedings brought by an investor in the banking sector. Fund for Protection of Investors' Rights in Foreign States v. The Republic of Lithuania, PCA Case No. 2019-48.
- Successfully representing the Republic of Guinea in its defense of parallel multi-billion-dollar ICSID arbitrations brought by the investor alleging expropriation of a mining concession and related rights. BSG Resources Limited, BSG Resources (Guinea) Limited and BSG Resources (Guinea) SÀRL v. Republic of Guinea (ICSID Case No. ARB/14/22).
- Successfully representing the Republic of Kenya in the defense of ICSID proceedings brought by an investor, Cortec, active in the mining sector. This claim was the highest value and most strategically important investment treaty claim Kenya has ever faced. Cortec Mining Kenya Limited, Cortec (Pty) Limited and Stirling Capital Limited v. Republic of Kenya (ICSID Case No. ARB/15/29)
- Successfully representing Belgian investors in a multi-million-dollar ICSID arbitration against the Republic of Madagascar involving an investment in the textile manufacturing sector (DS)2, S.A., Peter de Sutter and Kristof De Sutter v. Republic of Madagascar (ICSID Case No. ARB/17/18)
- Successfully representing the Sultanate of Oman in the defense of first ever claim brought under the US Oman Free Trade Agreement. The claims were valued at USD275 million and arose out of various concessions and lease agreements relating to mining rights. Adel A Hamadi Al Tamimi v. Sultanate of Oman (ICSID Case No. ARB/11/33)
- Successfully representing the Republic of Moldova in an ICSID arbitration brought under the bilateral investment treaty between France and Moldova. The claimant sought damages in excess of USD55 million for alleged mistreatment of investments in duty free stores on the Romania Moldova border and at the Chisinau airport. Franck Charles Arif v. Republic of Moldova (ICSID Case No. ARB/11/23)
- Successfully representing the Republic of Timor Leste in ICSID proceedings brought by an investor in the energy sector. Lighthouse Corporation Pty Ltd and Lighthouse Corporation Ltd, IBC v. Democratic Republic of Timor Leste (ICSID Case No. ARB/15/2)
- Currently representing two investors in connection with their BIT claim against an Asian State arising out of investments in the renewable energy sector.
- Advising Timor-Leste on its strategy for securing maritime boundaries with Australia, including representing Timor-Leste in a case before the International Court of Justice and the first compulsory conciliation on maritime boundaries under the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea. The matter resulted in a historic maritime boundary treaty with Australia. Our team is currently advising a number of other countries on maritime boundary negotiations and countries and companies regarding petroleum interests in disputed areas and strategies to overcome differences and obstacles to development.
- Achieved a significant victory for Gebre LLC against Kyrgyzstan, confirming a USD15 million arbitration award plus USD3 million in legal costs to the assignee of Canadian-based Stans Energy and its subsidiary, which alleged the Asian nation illegally took over their stakes in the Kyrgyz uranium sector and mines.
- Representing Cube Infrastructure Fund SICAV, Cube Infrastructure Managers S.A., Cube Energy S.C.A., Demeter Investment Managers S.A., and Demeter 2 FCPI (“Plaintiffs”) in ongoing litigation proceedings pending in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia to recognize and enforce a USD40 million ICSID award against the Kingdom of Spain.
- Representing Olin Holdings Ltd. in its efforts to enforce a USD28 million arbitration award against Libya issued pursuant to the Cyprus-Libya Bilateral Investment Treaty.
- Representing Rusoro Mining Ltd. (“Rusoro”) in its efforts to enforce a USD1.2 billion arbitration award against the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela issued pursuant to the Canada-Venezuela Bilateral Investment Treaty.
- Representing Third Eye Capital in its efforts to enforce arbitral awards in two parallel commercial arbitrations concerning breaches of charterparties against Parakou Tankers Inc. and related special purpose vehicles