The go-to cross-border enforcement and asset recovery practice
Parties who lose at litigation or in arbitration don’t always honor the result. In these high-stakes scenarios, our dedicated enforcement team combines extensive litigation experience, investigative insight, and strategic thinking to ensure that our clients’ arbitration and litigation victories are meaningful.
Our enforcement team has acted in landmark cases that have shaped the law. Enforcement is a unique process, and we develop creative, multi-jurisdictional litigation strategies that utilize the most advantageous procedures and remedies to quickly and decisively facilitate enforcement and leverage favorable settlements.
Our proactive approach utilizes cutting-edge, forum-specific discovery and enforcement tools to gain an early advantage – often even before an award or judgment is rendered. Collaborating with our clients’ transactional and litigation counsel, we raise enforceability and asset recovery issues even before disputes arise, allowing clients to stay ahead of the curve by understanding and planning for dispute and recovery risks in advance.
Our team has particular experience with sovereign enforcement disputes and is fluent in the complex legal and political issues that arise when seeking to enforce a judgment or award against a foreign state and its instrumentalities. Recovery in sovereign cases can require a multidimensional approach involving both legal and diplomatic engagement, and we work collaboratively and in lockstep with our government affairs team to devise strategies effective at promoting prompt recovery.
“They handle complex, high-value stuff. They handle very well the cross-border work and offshore work. They have enormous experience.”
When involved in large-scale fraud actions, we help clients secure the ability to recover awards or judgments rendered in their favor using aggressive pre-judgment remedies. We also advise litigation funders and other financial entities considering investments in disputes or awards.
With lawyers on the ground around the world and in key jurisdictions, our powerful global platform allows us to work seamlessly with international partners to identify and pursue the best enforcement opportunities wherever they exist.
Awards and recognition
- Lead US counsel representing Spanish gas company in successful proceedings to recognize and enforce USD2 billion ICSID award against Egypt.
- Global lead counsel representing a Canadian mining company in multi-jurisdictional proceedings to enforce a USD1.2 billion arbitration award against Venezuela.
- Lead US counsel representing a European award creditor in proceedings to enforce a USD500 million treaty arbitration award against Kazakhstan.
- Global lead counsel representing an affiliate of US petroleum services company in multi-jurisdictional proceedings to enforce a USD465 million arbitration award against Mexican State-owned oil company. The award was enforced in the US despite having been annulled by a court in Mexico.
- Global lead counsel for Cayman Islands award creditors in the successful multi-jurisdictional enforcement of a USD261 million arbitration award against an Indonesian State-owned oil company.
- Represented a US investment bank in proceedings to enforce a USD120 million portfolio of arbitral awards against Indian parties.
- Represented Chevron in the successful enforcement of a USD100 million arbitral award against Ecuador.
- Global lead counsel representing a US private equity fund in successful multi-jurisdictional proceedings to enforce an arbitration award and related judgment.
- Global lead counsel representing a major US defense contractor in successful multi-jurisdictional proceedings to enforce arbitration award against Greece.
- Lead US counsel for foreign government in fraud action against former head of state, successfully obtaining pre-judgment freeze of key US-based assets and disclosure related to US asset holdings.
- Represented Omani public authority in successful proceedings to enforce ICC arbitration award against US company.
- Global lead counsel representing a UK financial institution in proceedings to enforce arbitration award against Kyrgyzstan.
- Lead US counsel representing Cypriot investor in proceedings to recognize and enforce a USD28 million arbitral award against Libya.
- Lead US counsel in various proceedings to enforce ECT Awards arising from renewable energy disputes against Spain and Italy.
- Represent European state in connection with recognition and enforcement of Dutch judgment in US, prevailing on issue of first impression in a US state supreme court.
- Advised UK-based hedge fund in connection with enforcement of arbitration award against African nation.
- Advised US investors in connections with multi-jurisdictional dispute between investors, foreign state, and private creditors.