Peter advises local and multi-national clients on M&A and equity capital markets transactions in South Africa and in the rest of Africa. Peter advises on public and private M&A transactions (including private equity acquisitions and disposals). His practice covers a range of sectors, with recent deals completed in the financial services, media, hospitality, retail, food and beverages and property sectors. He has a vast experience in private and public mergers and acquisitions (M&A), capital markets, securities regulation and general commercial law.
- Advising the sole bookrunner, Investec Limited in an equity raise of R680 million for Afrimat limited shares.
- Advising S&W Seed Company, an American company, on its joint venture with AGT, to create Seedvision, to produce and distribute sorghum hybrid seeds in South Africa.
- Advising management, ABV and Raubenbel in the sale of all of their shares in Chill Holdings Proprietary Limited to Long4Life Limited.
- Advising Royal Reesink, one of Europe's largest distributors of machinery for agriculture, landscape maintenance and golf courses, on their acquisition Smith Mining Equipment, a South African company representing world-wide leading brands in the specialist machinery, turf maintenance and off-road vehicle market. The acquisition marked Royal Reesink's first steps into the African continent.
- Advising a UK-based warehousing, logistics and distribution company on the purchase of certain business assets of a South African rubber recycling company.
- Advising a multinational enterprise information management services company in respect of the acquisition of a South African document destruction company.
- Advising on the intra-group sale of a South African automobile production, engineering and distribution company by its German holding company to another member of the group registered in Austria.
- Advising Buildmax on the buy-out of 100% of the issued share capital of JSE listed mining company by way of a scheme of arrangement.
- Advising Value Capital Partners in the acquisition of approximately 15% of the issued shares in Allied Electronics and the restructuring of Allied Electronic’s control structure.
- Advising Phatisa, a leading African development and private equity fund manager, and other minority shareholders, on the sale of a controlling shareholding in Meridian Group to Ma’aden, the Saudi Arabian based mining and metals company.
- Advising a private equity firm in its acquisition of a stake in a South African health food business.
- University of Witwatersrand, LLM, Tax, cum laude, 2004
- Rhodes University, LLB, 2001
- Rhodes University, BA, 1999
- Chambers Global 2020-23 ranks Peter in Band 4 in Corporate/M&A.
- The Legal 500 EMEA 2018-23 recommended Peter for corporate, commercial and M&A.
- IFLR1000 (2018-23) ranks Peter as a Notable Practitioner in M&A and private equity in South Africa.
- Regular speaker at DLA Piper Africa’s M&A Academies.
My latest insights
DLA Piper continues growth in South Africa with two director appointments 1 March 2023
1 March 2023 .3 minute read