James N. DuchesneAssociate
James Duchesne counsels clients on compliance with privacy, data security and consumer protection regulations.
James assists companies with navigating state, federal, and international privacy and data protection laws. He routinely advises clients with the development of privacy policies and with responding to data security incidents. James’ experience includes guiding clients with the requirements of the CAN-SPAM Act, FCRA, Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, TCPA, Telemarketing Sales Rule, and unfair, deceptive, and abusive acts and practices laws.
James' practice crosses multiple industry sectors, including financial services, media, retail, and technology. In addition to his domestic advice, James also helps multinational companies with international marketing, employee privacy, cybersecurity and cross-border data transfer issues.
- J.D., The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law
Certificate, Institute for Communications Law Studies,
Production Editor, CommLaw Conspectus: Journal of Communications Law and Policy
- B.A., Union College
- Comment, Running Amuck: Using the Debacle of Recent Top Level Domain Expansions to Argue for Greater Governmental Participation in DNS Management, 21 CommLaw Conspectus 151 (2012)
Before joining DLA Piper, James was an associate at a national law firm where he counselled clients on privacy data security and regularly assisted financial institutions in responding to federal regulatory enforcement actions.
Prior to law school, James was a government affairs consultant focusing on federal policy issues.
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/US (CIPP/US)
Memberships And Affiliations
- Federal Communications Bar Association
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises Overhaul in its acquisition of SensiGuard® and securing of US$73 million...
17 March 2023 .2 minute read