Jonathan Klein concentrates his practice in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, private equity, corporate finance, securities matters and restructuring for both domestic and international clients.
Jonathan has represented public and private companies in negotiated domestic and cross border acquisitions and dispositions (including mergers, stock transactions, asset deals and divestitures), as well as bidders in contested transactions. Jonathan's private equity experience includes domestic and international leveraged transactions for both financial and strategic parties. His corporate finance experience includes public and private offerings of equity and debt securities.
Jonathan's general corporate practice includes advising public companies on SEC compliance and reporting issues, internal investigations, joint ventures, licensing and distribution agreements and providing general corporate advice and counsel to public and private companies, partnerships and individuals. He regularly counsels senior management, corporate boards and controlling stockholders with respect to acquisitions, dispositions, buyouts and general corporate and securities matters.
Jonathan has represented US and foreign clients in connection with cross-border acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, private financings, loan restructurings and workouts and general corporate matters.
Jonathan serves as chair of the Mergers and Acquisitions Group.
Jonathan has represented:
- Sodexo SA in connection with its acquisition of Centerplate, LLC
- Investindustrial in connection with the merger of Polynt SpA with Reichhold Corp.
- Various representation and warranty insurers in connection with underwriting representation and warranty insurance.
- Nutreco in connection with its acquisition of Micronutrients Corp.
- Morgan Joseph TriArtisan Corp. in connection with the sale of its assets to Cowan & Co.
- Synergy Health Plc in connection with its sale to STERIS Corporation
- Federal-Mogul Corporation in connection with its acquisition of the engine valve business of TRW through stock and asset deals in 7 countries
- Polynt SpA and PCCR USA, each portfolio companies of Investindustrial, in connection with their acquisition of the coatings and composite resin business of Total S.A. through stock and asset deals in 8 countries
- Federal-Mogul Corporation in connection with its acquisition of the friction brake-pad business from Honeywell through stock and asset deals in 10 countries
- Jindal Poly Films in connection with its acquisition of the polypropylene films business of ExxonMobil
- ID&T Corporation in connections with its sale of SFX Entertainment
- Pfizer Inc. in its sale of its Nutrition business to Nestle
- Pfizer Inc. in connection with its acquisition of Alacer Corporation, maker of the Emergen-C line of products
- Investindustrial and its portfolio company, Polynt SpA in connection with their acquisition of the North American coatings and composite resin business of Momentive Corporation (formerly Hexion)
- Pfizer Inc. in connection with the divestiture of material portions of Pfizer's and Wyeth's animal health business to Boerhinger Ingelheim (which divestitures were mandated by the FTC as a condition to its approval of the Pfizer/Wyeth merger)
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center 1987
- B.S., Cornell University 1984
- The Global M&A Network has recognized Jonathan on their list of "Top 50: North Americas M&A Lawyers."
- The Legal 500 United States
- Recommended, M&A Large Deals ($1B+) (2023)
- Hall of Fame, M&A Middle-Market ($500M-999M) (2020-2021)
- Recommended, M&A Middle-Market ($500M-999M) (2019)
- Recommended, US Taxes: Non-contentious (2019)
- Leading Lawyer, M&A Middle-Market ($500M-999M) (2015-2018)
- Contributor, Company Formation: A Practical Global Guide, Third Edition, Globe Law and Business, January 2015