Dr Enno AhlenstielCounsel
Finding solutions that work in the real world is the ultimate goal in my advice to clients.
Enno Ahlenstiel has helped companies to find solutions with regard to all aspects of European and German antitrust law for more than 10 years.
Handling complex matters such as the coordination of merger control filings in several jurisdictions in the context of cross-border transactions as well as in-depth investigations by merger control authorities form a regular part of Enno’s advice to clients.
Antitrust compliance as well as internal investigations, both related to antitrust matters as well as other compliance matters (including criminal offences) are another focus of his activities. He regularly uses legal tech and AI assisted tools to handle such investigations in an efficient way.
In addition Enno regularly represents his clients before the German and European authorities and courts and provides guidance how best to handle such proceedings.
Enno has advised several clients on the creation of joint ventures with competitors or customers e.g. in the area of sustainability in recent years and helped his clients to create a strategy that would minimize the effects of necessary merger control proceedings on the overall timing of the transaction.
- Advising an LPG manufacturer on the creation of a joint venture with a competitor. The joint venture will manufacture a renewable solution for the LPG industry.
- Advising on the creation of a joint venture for the production of wind energy.
- Advising a telecommunications company with regard to the creation of a joint venture with a competitor to build a fibre optics network.
- Coordinating merger control proceedings in multiple jurisdictions for a merger in the aviation industry.
- Advising automotive suppliers in different antitrust proceedings before the EU Commission. One supplier benefited from immunity from fines for revealing the existence of the cartel. The other supplier achieved a significant reduction of the fine by way of a so called settlement.
- Internal investigations at various companies in connection with regard to allegations of breach of trust, fraud and data theft.
- Higher Regional Court of Hamm, Second State Examination, 2009
- University of Münster, Ph.D., 2008
- University of Münster, First State Examination, 2005
Awards & Recognitions
- Legal 500 Germany 2019: Recommended for antitrust law as well as trade and distribution law
- Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers 2023/2024: Recommended for competition/antitrust law
- Herrlinger/Ahlenstiel, Durch Selbstreinigung aus dem Wettbewerbsregister, WuW 07-08/2022, 396-404
- Dreyer/Ahlenstiel, Berücksichtigung von Umweltschutzaspekten bei der kartellrechtlichen Bewertung von Kooperationen, WuW 2021, 76
- Ahlenstiel, Umsatzberechnung bei mittelbaren Zusammenschlüssen nach dem GWB, NZKart 2020, 426
- Dreyer/Ahlenstiel, Plattformverbote außerhalb selektiver Vertriebssysteme, NZKart 2019, 130
- Ahlenstiel, Wettbewerbsökonomische Würdigung, Rechtsnachfolge und Beweiserhebung in Kartellverfahren nach den Urteilen des BGH in Sachen Flüssiggas, ZWeR 2019, 332-352
- 2009 - 2018: Associate for a leading German law firm as well as a leading US law firm in Düsseldorf, Brussels, and Cologne
- 2014: International associate for a leading American law firm in Washington, D.C. for one year
Memberships And Affiliations
- Association for Competition Law Studies
My latest insights
Best Lawyers / Handelsblatt recommends a total of 98 lawyers from DLA Piper in Germany
16 June 2023 .2 minute read