Craig B. AndersonPartner
Craig Anderson's practice is a broad based real estate and finance practice, which includes the representation of lenders, equity investors and borrowers in interim, construction, permanent, mezzanine and equity financing secured by all types of real estate projects, with extensive experience in the securitized debt area and Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac debt placement.
Craig has extensive experience in acquisition, disposition, and development of all types of real estate projects, including purchase and sale agreements, construction and AIA contracts, reciprocal easements and partnership and joint venture agreements, as well as complicated mixed use projects.
Craig also has extensive leasing experience, including landlord and tenant representation; office, industrial and retail leasing, and build-to-suit transactions. He is also adept at structured finance and synthetic leasing. He represents developers in many areas, including office, retail, industrial, senior housing, condominium, hotel, multifamily, sport stadium and single family developments.
As a partner in the Real Estate and Real Estate Finance practices he has represented a broad range of clients, in particular banks, financial institutions, institutional owners and developers. Craig also served at Archon Financial as associate general counsel, working in all areas of the securitized lending arena.
Craig also works extensively with real estate funds and private placements, EB-5 transactions, tenant-in-common syndications and 1031 exchanges, including Delaware statutory trusts. He also has worked extensively in the workout, distressed asset and debt areas, including restructuring and bankruptcy transactions. He has also worked on numerous energy projects, including oil and gas leasing and development, pipelines, off shore drilling platforms, tower portfolios and wind farms.
Craig is also very experienced in representing developers and owners of industrial properties in acquisition, development, financing, joint ventures and lease transactions.
- Represented a publicly held retailer in purchasing leased properties and related inventory and assets in multiple store locations in multiple states
- Represented a construction lender for a regional mall for a new $290 million construction loan, including mall redevelopment and leasing of anchor locations
- Represented a large bank in the synthetic leasing of a $500 million corporate headquarters to a Fortune 500 company
- Represented a major Texas city in connection with the redevelopment of several city blocks, including construction of new high rise office buildings, lease of office buildings, retail ground level development, and infrastructure improvements
- National counsel for several clients regarding retail leasing activities across the country
- J.D., Southern Methodist University School of Law 1993
Managing Staff Editor, SMU Law Review and Journal of Air Law and Commerce
Order of the Coif
magna cum laude
- B.B.A., Real Estate and Finance, Southern Methodist University 1990
magna cum laude
- Chambers USA
- Band 4, Texas: Real Estate (2022)
He has been named a "Texas Rising Star" in a polling process by Law & Politics and Texas Monthly magazines among Texas Super Lawyers, in 2004, 2005, and 2007. In 2013, Craig was selected as a "2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Real Estate" by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell and he also received an AV Preeminent rating in from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest possible rating for both legal liability and ethical standards.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Urban Land Institute
- Dallas Bar Association, Real Property Section
- American Bar Association, Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law Section
- State Bar of Texas, Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law Section
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- SMU Real Estate Society
- Commercial Mortgage Securities Association
- Texas Real Estate Council
- Mortgage Brokers Association
- Tenants in Common Association
- American College of Mortgage Attorneys