Adam T. BerkoffPartner
Adam Berkoff concentrates his practice in the areas of real estate development, condominium development and conversion, mixed-use high-rise development, vertical subdivision and vertical separation, acquisition and disposition of real estate, commercial financing (both lender and borrower representation) and office park/retail center development.
Adam is the Co-Location Head of the Chicago Real Estate Practice. Adam specializes in structuring complex mixed-use projects, including air rights divisions, vertical and horizontal reciprocal easement agreements, and other air rights governance regimes. Adam has vast experience in representing developers of residential condominiums, commercial condominiums and hotel-condominiums. Adam's acquisition and disposition practice includes large portfolio transactions and various types of asset classes (including medical office buildings, senior housing projects, student housing projects, multifamily projects and storage facilities).
- Lead attorney in connection with the vertical separation and condominium conversion of the iconic Tribune Tower (435 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois), including structuring all vertical separation documentation, an umbrella Declaration of Covenants, Conditions, Restrictions and Easements, a vertical Declaration of Covenants, Conditions, Restrictions and Easements governing the residential and retail components of the tower, and all condominium documentation
- Lead attorney in structuring horizontal mixed-use governance documentation for Oak Brook Commons (former McDonald’s Corporation headquarters in Oak Brook, Illinois) which is intended to include restaurant, retail, office, residential, hotel, open space, park space, and other elements
- Lead attorney in connection with a US$1 Billion portfolio sale of 21 student housing properties across
- Lead attorney in structuring and implementing vertical and horizontal separation of 401 North Michigan Avenue into office and multiple retail components
- Represented client in connection with the acquisition of an air rights component of, and vertical separation of, the historic Macy’s State Street building in Chicago, Illinois (formerly known as the Marshall Field’s flagship Chicago location)
- Lead attorney in structuring condominium, hotel condominium, and vertical mixed-use governance documentation for 92-story Trump International Hotel and Tower (401 North Wabash Avenue)
- Lead attorney in structuring and implementing mixed-use and multiple condominium/homeowner regimes and documentation for Lincoln Park 2550 (2550 North Lakeview Avenue), as well as effectuating vertical subdivision of same
- Lead attorney in structuring vertical mixed-use documentation for, and effectuating vertical separation of, Palmer House Hotel (17 East Monroe Street) into hotel, retail, and office components
- Lead attorney in structuring vertical mixed-use documentation for, and effectuating vertical separation of, Heritage at Millennium Park (130 North Garland Court) into residential and retail components
- Lead attorney in structuring vertical mixed-use documentation for, and effectuating vertical separation of, the IBM Plaza (330 North Wabash Avenue) into hotel and office components
- Lead attorney in structuring and implementing commercial condominium regimes and documentation for Museum of Broadcast Communications (360 North State Street), Helene Curtis Building (325 North Wells), Garland Building (111 North Wabash), 211 West Wacker Building, and Gage Building (18 South Michigan)
- Lead attorney in structuring and implementing hotel condominium regime and documentation for first hotel condominium in Chicago, The Raffaello (201 East Delaware)
- Lead attorney in numerous portfolio acquisitions and dispositions of student housing, senior living, storage, and other asset classes throughout the United States
- Domestic mixed-use projects and residential condominium and hotel condominium engagements for projects in California, Colorado, Florida, Indiana, Nevada, South Carolina, and Virginia
- International residential condominium and hotel condominium engagements for projects in Argentina, China, Costa Rica, and Dominican Republic
- Chambers USA
Band 4, Illinois Real Estate (2021-2022)
Chambers comments, "Adam Berkoff is best known for his work in the mixed-use and condominium space." Clients say, "He is someone who is very practical, I found him to be very good and proactive." "He is very professional, thorough and is focused on achieving the results and following up on our needs."
Adam has served as an Adjunct Professor in the DePaul University Real Estate Center.
- "The Nuts and Bolts of Condominium Law," DePaul University; Chicago, Illinois (2008-2015)
- "Legal Issues: Commercial Real Estate Transactions," DePaul University, Chicago, Illinois (2004-2015)
- "Legal Issues: Acquisition, Financing and Investments," DePaul University, Chicago Illinois (2003-2004)
Memberships And Affiliations
- Chicago Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association Condominium Subcommittee
- State Bar Association of Wisconsin