Calafia Franco JaramilloCah-lah-fee-ah Fran-cohForeign Legal Consultant
Licensed as a Foreign Legal Consultant by the NY State Supreme Court, Appellate Division
Managing Director, Mexico Tax Desk
Calafia Franco is a Mexican attorney licensed as a Foreign Legal Consultant by the NY State Supreme Court, Appellate Division, as part of the tax team in the United States focuses on tax consulting, tax controversy and tax efficiency. She concentrates on providing multinational companies with solutions to help them navigate highly complex multi-jurisdiction and inter-disciplinary projects relating to taxation in Latin America with broad US international tax exposure.
Her vast experience includes leading negotiations with Latin American tax authorities within tax audits, tax settlements, tax rulings, Advance Pricing Agreements, Bilateral Advance Pricing Agreements, Mutual Agreement Procedures as well as managing large Mexican tax controversy projects and several supply chain realignments.
- She started her career in the Mexican IRS as litigator on administrative and jurisdictional processes on a federal level related to domestic and international tax matters and collaborated on design, implement, and perform international, transfer pricing and financial tax audits
- She served as Mexico's OECD delegate for transparency-exchange of information as well as working party groups such as aggressive tax planning
- Successfully leading highly complex multi-jurisdiction and inter-disciplinary projects in the Latin America region with broad US international tax exposure regarding the identification, development and implementation of tax planning opportunities, M&A projects
- Assisting clients in the preparation of just-in-time information about tax policy developments and their potential impact relating to cross-border investments in the US and Latin America
- Successfully leading negotiations with Latin American tax authorities within tax audits, tax settlements, tax rulings, APAs, BAPAs, MAPs as well as managing large Mexican tax controversy projects and several supply chain realignments
- LL.M., Escuela Libre de Derecho 2010
- Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Occidente
- Mexico: Understanding SAT's "benchmark" disclosure of effective income tax rates, 14 July 2021
- Managing Mexican mandatory disclosure rules, 8 April 2021
- The Qualified Maquiladora Approach Agreement has been renewed: Implications for multinationals' transfer pricing, 26 January 2021
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises Vorwerk & Co. in US$255 million sale of JAFRA’s US and Mexico operations...
12 April 2022 .3 minute read
Mexico: Understanding SAT's "benchmark" disclosure of effective income tax rates
13 July 2021 .11 minute read